Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-04-2010

brich001 is on a distinguished road
Harken Furler Question

I have a 1983 Alberg 37 with roller furler. This is my first furler, so I know nothing about these other than what I have read. Specifically, I don't know what model and vintage the furler is? The markings show it to manufactured by Harken (and perhaps sold by North Sails?).

1. How can I adjust the forestay tension? There is no visible turnbuckle to adjust. I have been told that some 'early' furlers contain no forestay turnbuckle under the furler. I need to move the forestay every year during haul-out at the bow to provide room the travel-lift to get close enough to lift the boat. Reconnecting the forestay would be MUCH easier if there is an adjustment turnbuckle under the furler.

2. How can I tell if this model is a furler-reefing system or just a furler?

brich
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brich001 View Post
I have a 1983 Alberg 37 with roller furler. This is my first furler, so I know nothing about these other than what I have read. Specifically, I don't know what model and vintage the furler is? The markings show it to manufactured by Harken (and perhaps sold by North Sails?).

1. How can I adjust the forestay tension? There is no visible turnbuckle to adjust. I have been told that some 'early' furlers contain no forestay turnbuckle under the furler. I need to move the forestay every year during haul-out at the bow to provide room the travel-lift to get close enough to lift the boat. Reconnecting the forestay would be MUCH easier if there is an adjustment turnbuckle under the furler.

2. How can I tell if this model is a furler-reefing system or just a furler?

brich
Most Harken furlers that I have seen are over a forestay turnbuckle so you likely can adjust forestay tension. You'll just have to figure out how to loosen and raise the drum to access the turnbuckle.

Harken is famous for great customer support so you could likely id you unit and get instructions by giving Harken a call.

As far as I know, all Harken furlers can be reefed. Basically, if you can unroll part of the sail and secure the drum so that no more sail can be deployed without you wanting it to, then you have a reefable unit.
Old 05-04-2010
Tartan T30

Talyn is on a distinguished road
we have a Harken MkII, the previous owner of the boat got it as a kit. Installing a kit such as the one above involves cutting the bottom end of the forestay a predetermined amount in order to facilitate the height of the drum unit and it's fittings, then the extruded profile that holds the luff tape is worn onto the forestay.
In this case forestay tension is adjusted by tightening the backstay.
Old 05-04-2010
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
I have a MK-III Harken furler; and to loosen the forestay you need to loosen/raise the torque tube. Inside there is a nut that locks the turnbuckle; and a second locknut beneath the drum. You loosen the locknuts and then holding the forestay swage fitting with a pair of vice-grips (put cloth between the jaws to minimize gouging); rotate the body of the furling drum to loosen or tighten the headstay. The forestay swage is beneath the foil; so you need to lift the foil up and hold it and the torque tube away from the swage while you clamp the vice-grips on (not an easy task). Would it be possible to go into the lift ways stern-in so that you would need to loosen the backstay instead?

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 05-04-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2010

brich001 is on a distinguished road
Stern first

Thanks all for your advice. I have been looking more closely at the Harken manuals, to see what you are talking about. I need to get the model info in order to make further inquiries to them (or to this forum). But it looks like I have a Mark II or III based on the manual for the Mark III I found on the Harken site, and Talyn's comment. So time will tell.

We looked a the stern lift, but this is a yawl. The mizzen mast interferes with the travel lift too. Having now done it this way, I may remove the mizzen mast next time to see which is easier! I may be able to manage with very loose after stays and some help... I want to be able to handle this forestay job on my own should the need arise.

Thanks again.

brich
Old 05-05-2010
Senior Moment

doubleeboy is on a distinguished road
All the Mark lll drums I have seen are black plastic. I believe the earlier ones have the Silver colored drum.

michael
Old 05-05-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I'm going to assume that your mast is keel stepped as opposed to deck stepped. If keel stepped you should be able to remove your back or aft stay in order to accommodate the travel lift and not mess with the fore stay at all. I'm just not sure how well that will work with your 37 footer and the particular travel lift you want to use.
On the other hand if your mast is deck stepped and you still need to detach your fore stay for the lift you may have to pull the mast and rig entirely. Deck stepped masts are not so happy when one of their guy wires are detached whereas a keel stepped mast can usually stand a lot more leeway.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.