Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-06-2010

bellefonte is on a distinguished road
Cabin Air conditioning

We are trying to figure out what type of AC to use. I only want bedroom AC and fans for the rest of the cabin. But do i use water cooled, split or self contained? This would be for the bedroom of a 30-40' boat. What brands are best? features?
I am open to salt experience on this one.
Thanks in advance!

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
We use a standard window unit from Home Depot that we paid about $90 for 5 years ago. We stick it in our butterfly hatch. With the AC and the combination of fans, we are able to keep our boat comfortable in the heat of Florida. During the winter, we take the AC out and store it in the trunk of our car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I've used remetau's plan in the past and it can work well, but nothing beats the efficiency of exchanging heat with the water instead of the air. Built in units are more expensive, but they have the advantage of efficiency, greater cooling potential, quiet, out of sight, and no need to move for the season or for sailing. They can also be reverse cycle unit that can heat in the winter. My best units have been Cruisair. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 05-06-2010

all good ideas. I think i would like to run a wind turbine and a couple of solar panels and have a low power draw DC unit so tht we can run it at night without being hooked up to a marina. Sounds like Cruiseair may have something like that.

But it's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you. ... Rachel Dawes

Last edited by bellefonte; 05-06-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-06-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
12 volt DC air isn't going to happen in my lifetime! As far as I know, the largest 12 volt compressor only does about a 5-8 sq ft icebox! AC duty compressors run at a higher load because the refrigerant coming back is saturated gas and the HP requirement is much higher! Refridge compressors move less dense gas and therefor have a lower HP requirement. (this is in part why a home heat pump is so efficient in the heating cycle.)

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-06-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellefonte View Post
We are trying to figure out what type of AC to use. I only want bedroom AC and fans for the rest of the cabin. But do i use water cooled, split or self contained? This would be for the bedroom of a 30-40' boat. What brands are best? features?
I am open to salt experience on this one.
Thanks in advance!

Cart before the horse? Why are you concerned about this when you don't have a boat yet?
Old 05-06-2010

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I'm also interested in the AC options for boats (and I also don't have a boat yet...). I've already looked at most of the suggestions so far, but I have a question that I think is related enough to post in this thread (I don't mean to threadjack).

Does any company make a unit that doesn't even have a compressor and just circulates seawater through the radiator? In most locations, the seawater is going to be a comfortable room temperature or lower, in which case this seems like it would work. It would be trivially simple (and hopefully thus cheap and low power consumption). Perhaps it would include a tiny compressor to drop it an extra few degrees for those places where the ocean is a little too warm. Does such a thing exist?
Old 05-06-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
wouldn't work.. the water needs to bring the air to "due point" generally that means the water needs to be around 38-40 degrees. you wouldn't need air in water that cold, it would be winter! Any kind of compressor for cooling the volumes needed, draws many amps. Now a wind driven compressor might....... LOL

My boat is for sale.
Old 05-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Cart before the horse? Why are you concerned about this when you don't have a boat yet?
My dear friend, would it be folly to go out and buy a boat not knowing what I want?
I am planning all sorts of things before i buy, such as how much power will I use at any one time, bsed on the previous study, how many panels will I need, what type of inverter, what brand of wind turbine do experienced sailors recommend, what type of rig do I prefer for my intended use, do i want a plumbed head or a composting one?
Surely you aren't suggesting that I buy a boat without any fore thought or planning on how i will equip it?
I dont think I could force myself to do that even if I tried. ...

Old 05-07-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

he has a point guys

Now, if someone could make flexible solar panels that could also be used as sails we'd have a real problem solver! All that surface area!

My boat is for sale.