SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   Looking for vang attachment hardware (

kwaltersmi 05-06-2010 07:58 PM

Looking for vang attachment hardware
My boom has a square-ish metal plate riveted to the bottom of the boom, matching the boom's curvature. In the middle of the plate is a hole with a slot on one end. That's the best I can describe it without a picture.

Does anyone know where I can find the "male" fitting that would attach to my vang so it can connect to the plate on the boom? Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm assuming the part I need would look something like an enlarged nail head so it could fit into the hole and then slid back to lock it in place.

GaryHLucas 05-06-2010 08:33 PM

I think the vang may have had a short cable pendant with a swaged ball end fitting. A rigging shop could make something like that up for you.

Gary H. Lucas

kwaltersmi 05-06-2010 08:37 PM

Good call may be right!

I may just add a boom bail, though I'm hesitant to drill/screw into the boom.

Faster 05-07-2010 09:18 AM

One of our former boats had this same fitting - it was a keyhole slot for the vang, the tackle for which was connected via a "nail-head" type of stud that slotted into the fitting.

This was on a boat originally fitted with roller boom reefing... I believe it was to allow the vang to be used for a full main, but quickly removable to facilitate rolling the boom for a reef (but ironically leaving you 'vangless' when you perhaps needed it most)

kwaltersmi 05-18-2010 08:01 AM

After contacting Ronstan and Harken, it looks like the part I may need is called a "vang key". But the funny thing is that they seem to be made almost exclusively for Lasers, so it may not be stout enough for my application. I'll post a picture later today...

75R20 05-18-2010 09:00 AM

Depending on the size of your boat/boom, the key slot that you describe is made for a rigging fitting that is usually used on the upper end of a mast,on a shroud/stay. Check with a rigger/sailboat supply for a "T slot fitting " or "T ball" used in a mast. WM lists 3 different styles and several sizes.
Best of luck
S/V Mariah

kwaltersmi 05-18-2010 04:44 PM

Thanks for the tip 75R20!

FYI - Here's a picture of what I'm referring to:

Faster 05-18-2010 05:02 PM

Exactly what we had on a former boat.. the top block for the vang had that 'nail head' fitting that slotted into that keyhole.. as long as the vang had some tension it stayed put.

Is this an originally roller-reefing boom set up?

75R20 05-18-2010 05:03 PM


S/V Mariah

kwaltersmi 05-18-2010 07:29 PM

It was never a roller-reefing boom to my knowledge. Nor is there any evidence of such a set-up, except the key fitting (subject of this thread).

It looks like the t ball parts that West carries are all swage fittings. I'm really hoping to find a piece that looks like an eye-bolt with the t ball fitting (nail head) instead of the threads, if such a thing exists. Then I could simple fit it to the slot and attach the snap shackle from my vang.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome