Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-06-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Iota IQ4 wierdness

So riddle me this...

I bought two new AGM batteries, each with a 79 Ahr capacity and an Iota DLS-55 w/IQ4.

I put the charger on one of the batteries, plugged it in, and the little green light came on and stayed on solid, which is supposed to mean float. I left it for a while, then unplugged the charger figuring the battery was charged when it arrived.

The next morning, the battery charger was still unplugged but the green light was blinking rapidly, which is supposed to mean bulk charge mode.

Hua? I plugged the charger in, and the light kept blinking for hours, then finally went solid on again.

I assume that since so many here use these on their boat there is no problem leaving it connected to the battery while it (the charger) is unpowered. This seems like strange behavior. Why would it claim its in bulk charger mode when it is not even plugged in, and why does it draw power from the battery to do it?

Thanks...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
From the IQ-4 User's Manual (see esp. para 3ff):

LED INDICATOR

The LED Indicator on the IQ4 informs the user of the DLS charging state and the battery charge status. When first activated, the IQ4 will read the number of cells in the battery and indicate the voltage of the battery through a number of flashes. Refer to Figure B.

LIT/FLASHING LED - After reading the battery, the IQ4 will initiate either a Bulk Charge phase or Float Charge phase depending on the battery’s charge status. When the IQ4 is in the Bulk Charge mode, the green LED indicator will flash rapidly (approx. 2 flashes per second). When the Bulk Charge is complete, the IQ4 begins the Absorption Charge and the LED indicator will flash at a slower rate (approx. 1 flash per second). If, when first activated, the battery is not in need of charging, the IQ4 will immediately begin the Float Charge phase and the LED will remain lit (no flashing). Refer to Figure C for Charge Stage descriptions.

The LED indicator will remain lit or flashing when the charger is unplugged or disconnected from the AC supply (de-energized). During this time, the IQ4 continues to monitor the battery voltage. If the battery voltage drops below a pre-determined voltage (Refer to Figure D for predetermined values), the IQ4 will automatically initiate the 3-Stage Charge (BULK, ABSORPTION, and FLOAT) once the AC input is re-connected.

IRREGULAR FLASHING LED - If the LED is flashing irregularly or intermittently, then the IQ4 has entered a FAULT state due to an over-voltage. When this occurs, the IQ4 must be re-set in order to resume normal operation. Refer to the FAULT STATE instructions on page 2 for re-setting procedures.
Unquote

Sorry I can't post the tables, but all the info is in the User Manual.

Bill
Old 05-07-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Thanks Bill, my charger didn't come with a manual. I'll find one online or else call the vendor.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.