Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-07-2010

NoWet is on a distinguished road
forestay turnbuckle conversion - furler

Good Day.

(I did a search and really tried to get thru all the returns to see if this was covered, and I didn't see any...)

I'm installing a new Profurl C290. I'm not sure how to convert (short of calling up a rigger to have it professionally converted) the forestay's turnbuckle. A picture is worth a thousand words, so...

The pin that goes thru the forestay's eye (in the instructions) and the attached locking devices (labeled as #2) are used to attach the furling drum. Hope this makes sense.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
forestay turnbuckle conversion - furler-forestayconversion.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Looks like they are showing no turnbuckle under the drum with the headstay fitting changed to an eye. I would think that would make the existing headstay too short. Hopefully someone who has installed one of these will chime in.
Old 05-08-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Jst swap out the piece you've got there for a turnbuckle bolt with an eye instead of a toggle. See this page for the turnbuckle EYE.

However, I would question if the turnbuckle will fit in the furler, since it doesn't appear to be designed to accommodate one. Also, there is the question of how you will access the turnbuckle, since the furler doesn't appear to allow for access.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-08-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
SD is right in that you can just replace the t-bolt and toggle for a left hand threaded eye and a double jaw toggle. This doesn't change the overall length of the headstay the way adding a eye jaw toggle would.

The system is made to accommodate a turnbuckle but is often installed without one.
If you are replacing the headstay,(recommended) you can have it made either way.
Old 05-08-2010

BigZ is on a distinguished road
I just installed the same unit on my boat. The instructions were, in some cases, not super clear. Spent a lot of time re-reading, re-thinking, and re-measuring.
If I recall correctly, one purpose of those gizmos labeled with the 2 are to secure the upper portion of the link plates to the non-rotating part of the furler body. On my setup, which is similar if not the same as yours, I just trimmed the overall length of each gizmo so they wouldn't butt against the turnbuckle. There was no pin used in that area. Then, a second toggle was added at the lower turnbuckle end. The second toggle joint is where a long pin was used to connect the lower end of the link plates with the forestay. The turnbuckle has to be adjusted (shortened) to compensate for the added length of the new toggle.
If you're not using link plates, I think that picture shown will still work, except that the turnbuckle would be inserted above the lower toggle. Then the pin would fit between the gizmos.
Hope that makes sense. All the paperwork needed to jog my memory is on the boat.
Old 05-08-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
I just installed the same unit on my boat. The instructions were, in some cases, not super clear. Spent a lot of time re-reading, re-thinking, and re-measuring.
If I recall correctly, one purpose of those gizmos labeled with the 2 are to secure the upper portion of the link plates to the non-rotating part of the furler body. On my setup, which is similar if not the same as yours, I just trimmed the overall length of each gizmo so they wouldn't butt against the turnbuckle. There was no pin used in that area. Then, a second toggle was added at the lower turnbuckle end. The second toggle joint is where a long pin was used to connect the lower end of the link plates with the forestay. The turnbuckle has to be adjusted (shortened) to compensate for the added length of the new toggle.
If you're not using link plates, I think that picture shown will still work, except that the turnbuckle would be inserted above the lower toggle. Then the pin would fit between the gizmos.
Hope that makes sense. All the paperwork needed to jog my memory is on the boat.

I think you need to check your installation.
You aren't supposed to have to "trim the gizmo".
The special profurl pin is used to hold up the drum and the extrusions. How did you accomplish this?
Old 05-08-2010

The TE series appears to be exactly what I was looking for. It even mentions "Profurl".

Then I see that I'd still need the toggle so that it will attach to the chainplate.

Does everyone agree this is the correct setup then?

Thanks for the introduction of riggingonly.com. As you can see I've been lurking a long time here, and just purchased a new-to-me Mariner 28 to sail Lake Michigan, upgrading from a 19' Prindle.
Attached Thumbnails
forestay turnbuckle conversion - furler-te-turnbuckle-eye.jpg   forestay turnbuckle conversion - furler-dbl-jaw-toggle.jpg  
Old 05-08-2010

I don't know about everyone agreeing, but the rigger does.
Old 05-08-2010

"trimming the gizmos" -- aka Locking Devices. Yes, they are to be trimmed:
The black Nylon locking devices are used to immobilize the pin provided with furling system and to keep the forestay lower terminal in the center of the drum mechanism. If the dimension of "C" (seq 9) [the turnbuckle size] is larger than 45/64", the locking devices must be shortened.

BigZ...The locking devices -- gizmos -- are not female threaded, like the ends of the pin is (male), so not sure how to get those into the gizmos. I could create the threads as I put on one of the locking device, but since the locking device is supposed to not turn, I'm unclear on to how to create the threads on the other locking device. I almost want to find a pin of the correct diameter (7/16") without threads to replace the one that came with the kit. I have an email into the US distributor, but don't expect a response until Monday at the earliest. (We'll see how good their customer service is.)

Thanks again to all.
Old 05-08-2010

BigZ is on a distinguished road
The locking devices only keep the pin from moving side to side, should be no need to get female threads on them. They also stabilize the upper end of the link plates, if your installation uses link plates. Does it?
As you are suggesting, I also switched to pin with cotter key holes rather than the threaded pin unit.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.