Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-09-2010

HerbDB is on a distinguished road
There are plenty of options.

I had a Catalina 25 for quite a few years. I never stored gas where fumes could leak inside the hull. Some small boats have a sealed and vented tank compartment. You can store the tank in the back of the cockpit where the cockpit drain will take care of the fumes.

Any gas powered boat has the potential to leak fumes into the bilge if it is stored improperly. Portable fuel tanks will vent fumes when they heat up. They can also leak.

In a properly sealed and vented compartment, this is no big deal. In a cockpit locker that vents to the bilge, this is asking for trouble.

Do as you like on this issue, but please don't recommend risky practices to others.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-09-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Well

One outboard engine with a minimum weight of 14kg, which when not in use shall be securely
stowed under one of the main berths or aft of the sill of the companionway.

There shall be a minimum of 2 liters of motor fuel carried in reserve when the boat crosses the
finish line for the last race of the day.

I will leave it alone but most older outboard boats as you have found have no fuel locker

Just like my CAL 29 A4 inboard has the permanent fuel fill in the cockpit which is completely against current standards as if you have a spill it WILL not vent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 05-09-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-09-2010

meboater is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the great feedback.
From what I can tell, this practice is both common and a bad idea. In my first Tanzer, I never gave it a thought. The lockers formed a continous U on both sides and the transom. The entire locker area was continous with the bilge. Under the bench (correct term?) there was a shelf for the portable tank. No other decent spot for the tank.

This boat has a fuel locker adjacent the transom, at cockpit sole level. I will get a 6 gallon tank, which will fit. Additional fuel, if needed, will not be in the bilge area.

I can actually picture a fuel spill spreading throughout my bilge dispersing fumes. I can then picture about a million ways a spark could be created- worn wire at a bilge pump, for example. Just because it hasn't happened to somebody else doesn't mean it won't happen to me.

On another note- I do have a 6 gal Yamaha tank. Anybody know if it's possible to replace just the outlet to make it Tohatsu compatible?

HH
Old 05-09-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by meboater View Post
This boat has a fuel locker adjacent the transom, at cockpit sole level. I will get a 6 gallon tank, which will fit. Additional fuel, if needed, will not be in the bilge area.
Good for you.
Quote:
On another note- I do have a 6 gal Yamaha tank. Anybody know if it's possible to replace just the outlet to make it Tohatsu compatible?

HH
Yes, you can get the fittings for the Tohatsu fuel line at any good marine supply store. IIRC Moeller makes them, among others.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-10-2010

timebandit is on a distinguished road
This is my solution

Mac 25
Copernicus
Southern California
I am not a prejudice racist sexist bigot. I just hate stupid people.
Old 05-10-2010

safira is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up fuel storage

storing fuel is always a problem or can be. use common sense first off to be safe ... if you think it is dangerous then do not do it ... I got rid of the diesel and went with a outboard ... a 4 stroke 8 hp Honda ... i cleaned the tanks and now use them for gas ... they are vented good and I put in self leveler for the tanks with a shutoff in between the tanks ... yes they had vents already but i put in bigger vents just to be on the safe side ... I also carry 30 gallons on the stanchions ... I have done a lot of modifications on my vessel since i purchased it ... all for the better and to make my life a little better and easier ... cheers
Old 10-10-2011

safira is on a distinguished road
Interesting suggestions and replies posted here. All were great!!! I have two tanks 45 gallons each in the saddle type config, both are double vented to the exterior. This may be overkill but It makes me feel safer, Yes they have gas in them not diesel. I also have 6 five gallon plastic jugs that i keep on deck, they are secured to a 2X8 that i use for docking at pileings if needed. The 2x8's make a great backing for the gas cans.
Also i do have a bilge blower that I will run for about 10 minutes if I get a fuel smell in the bilge area. You can never be to safe. And it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 10-11-2011
Misanthrope

TohatsuGuru is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by meboater View Post
Thanks for the great feedback.
From what I can tell, this practice is both common and a bad idea. In my first Tanzer, I never gave it a thought. The lockers formed a continous U on both sides and the transom. The entire locker area was continous with the bilge. Under the bench (correct term?) there was a shelf for the portable tank. No other decent spot for the tank.

I can actually picture a fuel spill spreading throughout my bilge dispersing fumes. I can then picture about a million ways a spark could be created- worn wire at a bilge pump, for example. Just because it hasn't happened to somebody else doesn't mean it won't happen to me.

HH
Tohatsu = Nissan = Mercury = Yamaha on the female fuel fitting that connects to the engine's male fitting.
Old 10-11-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordo View Post
You should not store gasoline(or propane) in any area that vents to the interior of the boat. A blower could help but the are designed to be run prior to starting an inboard engine. Your fire danger is much more random, any spark at any time. You can't run the blower continuously. Remember, you're aboard a boat; anything that can leak will leak eventually. Do as PDP suggests and lash the spare to the stanchions.
Like he said. ^^^^^
Old 12-17-2011

Leandra boy is on a distinguished road
I have been trying to deal with this problem on my Bayfield 25. I was advised to construct vented compartments using Rubbermaid containers and dryer hose. Spills and fumes would be contained this way. Not a very elegant solution, but short of a custom tank I don't know what else to do.

best regards