Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-08-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Valiant 40 progress part five, post paint.

I know it's been a while since I posted a followup on this boat but it's been the "Boat from Hell". The first round of paint hit the boat and didn't flow at all. I laid a second, wetter coat on it and it still stayed there with monster orange peel, dull as hell. We spent the next two days sanding it down smooth for a second round. This time I had a #2 Zahn cup to measure viscosity. I usually spray at 15-17 seconds on the cup.

So, we get more paint and I reduce the paint about 15% and check it. One full minute on the cup? Ok, reduce it somemore, down to 35 seconds now. A bit more..., down to 23 seconds. Hell, that enough cause this is starting to make me nervous. We fire up the pot and I go at it again. Looking pretty good, with the exception of all of these solvent pinholes..., for about 15 minutes. Then it just falls off the boat in curtains. The next day, all of the gloss is gone.

Ok, I saved some paint for touchup so let's deal with the curtains and color sand the rest with 800 and 1200. I get the runs out, most of them because the paint still isn't quite cured after two days and th runs lift to the primer, sweet. After color sanding, the boys buff some out. Jesus that's glossy, looks like plastic, until ya look straight into it, then it looks cloudy. Damn, time for round three. We color sand the whole boat with 1200 (wet) and wipe her down.

With a gravity feed gun, I mix the paint and reduce it a maximum of 20% and start shooting. wow, this stuff is flowing well but why am I only getting a 4" wide spray pattern? POS gun.... So I finish the entire boat with this POS narrow shooting gun. Halfway through, it starts spitting paint on ocassion. Nothing I can do but make a wet pass over the spit to flow it and hope it stays. It did, except a couple of places. Now I'm at the place I should've been two weeks ago with a decent paint job and normal touchup to do.

So today I had the Grandsons at the shop to learn how to varnish. Izzy is actually quite good, better than most adults, Alex needs more practice... Tomorrow is touchup and more varnish. The Valiant launched Wednesday afternoon.

Here are some pics of her in non-touched up or cleaned up state, right after the masking came off.

My reflection in sucky light, yes, that's the rubrail.

Some side shots

The bow looking out the door.

Can ya read this?

Stripe detail (yet to be detailed)

There she be and she'll look much better when we're done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Looks good buddy...dark colors are the worst to work with...they show every imperfection.

You got a good initiation.

Im going to have to anchor a LONG way away from Newt now , or Im really going to look like crap..

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 05-08-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 05-08-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
I got the cure for that.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-09-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Holy crap Charlie that is gorgeous. Awesome work dude. Baggett and Sons rocks.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-09-2010
On the hard

moonie, to much trouble to pull that rail so the owner nixed that idea.

Smack, thanks.