Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-10-2010

Tanley is on a distinguished road
Writing on charts?

Newbie question here.

We bought some waterproof Richardson's chartbooks recently for New England. They aren't compatible with No. 2 pencils for plotting (smears and burn marks when erasing or trying to wash off).

Is there a better writing utensil to use or is this a function of their chart material? Richardson says to use a water soluble pen, but what good is that if you're plotting a course in the cockpit? One good wave would wash out your plot.

Is this common to most charts or are there chartbooks that are more forgiving?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2010

klem is on a distinguished road
How about a grease pencil? I have a set of laminated charts that I use for sea kayaking and I use a grease pencil on those. It will come off but it also won't be washed off by a little bit of spray. My biggest frustration is that the tip is pretty large.
Old 05-10-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
plotting in the cockpit is not a good idea. you say one wave and the plot is gone, i say one gust and the chart is gone.

do it inside with a pen ( water soluble )
Old 05-10-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Probably grease pencil, crayon, wax pencil, or "dry erase" marker. If you can stop at a drafting or art supply store, they may be able to suggest different things to try on the chart.

Erasing--if you are using a pink eraser--is a bad idea, the pink erasers are abrasive and damage anything--including paper--that you use them on. A white (vinyl) drafting eraser usually is a better idea.

Some of the fine point permanent markers (like Sharpie) are waterproof but easily removed with alcohol IF they don't bleed into the plastic. So that's another one to explore, in a corner where you won't have a problem if the Sharpie doesn't wipe off.
Old 05-10-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Hellosailer is corect...Often called Glasers pencels...My wife is a comercal artist and uses this very one.

Internal Server Error

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.
Old 05-10-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I use grease pencils for plot lines but use PostIt flag arrows to indicate positions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 05-11-2010
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
What I made for this purpose works pretty well for plotting courses and positions in the cockpit: I took two pieces of veneer about two feet by three feet and one same size sheet of clear acrylic. I drilled holes at the top, and made the sheets like leaves in a book, with zip-ties for a binding. The top is the clear acrylic sheet and the other two below.

I store the charts I will be needing later in the day between the two "pages" of veneer, and the chart I am using between the veneer and the clear acrylic.
I write on top of the clear acrylic with different coled wax pencils. It wipes off easily enough.

It fits right on the cockpit floor, and remains there (given what weather). You can walk back and forth ontop of it and it doesn't hurt it in the slightest!!

When not in use, it slips under the starboard seabirth settee. Seawinds don't have a dedicated chart table (at least the Seawind I's don't...I think the Seawind II does), so I also use this same "chart portfolio" for in the main cabin.

Works great!! With all the needed charts either between the veneer "pages" or under the acrylic, nothing blows away.

Last edited by SoulVoyage; 05-11-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 05-11-2010

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
You can probably find removable highlighter tape at a local Staples, but here is a link to pay way too much for it at an aviation supply store.

Set of All Four Colors of Highlighter Tape - Sporty's Pilot Shop

You can place the removable tape on the chart in the general area and draw a fine pencil line on top if you want to be more exact. In the end, however, you could only hope that your beat, jibe, drift, whatever, actually stayed withing the width of that tape anyway.

p.s. I don't use this stuff, nor do I typically draw a line of any kind on my charts. I do, however, like the idea above of using post-it arrows for positions.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 05-11-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2010

Tanley is on a distinguished road
FWIW, Richardson's suggested wet erase pens (used for writing on transparencies). Might not hold up against a wet sail, but it's a fine tip and comes right off with a damp cloth.

Old 05-17-2010

southshoreS24 is on a distinguished road
look up stabilo pencils they are like mini grease pens and water soluble.