SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Mast Climber?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gershel 
#1 ·
I am in the market for a mast climber. Any comments on the Mast Mate system versus the Top Climber. Any input appreciated...

#5 ·
I just went to REI this weekend and bought a right and left-hand ascender.

I connected the right ascender to my boatsun chair and the left to a loop made to stand in.

I didn''t go very high - still testing the gear - but decided that I would also add a line to connect the left ascender to the chair D-ring as a secondary backup. You have to be careful that you don''t accidently release the ascender that is supporting your weight! :)

Another safety factor to add - would be to put on a harness and have someone standing by in case your line fails.

The ascenders I purchased were about $48 each.

#6 ·
Hi,If an ascender can be released when weight is on it, you may have the wrong type of ascender. You should not be able to release the ascender until the weight is removed. The line supporting the seat should go directly to the handle of the ascender so that there is no chance of an accidental release. For a safety line I tie a short length of line from my harness to a tightly secured halyard with a rolling hitch. I slide the hitch up as I climb.
Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.