SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

paint compatibility

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  sailingfool 
#1 · (Edited)
removed

#2 ·
Does anyone have any preference on fairing mix? I think I'm going to use watertite, as it's recommended by interlux and has pretty good reviews on Jamestown distributors.
No on the Watertite, Watertite is a filler, not a fairing compound, it is very hard to sand, not what you want for fairing. If you have holes into the fg, then fill them with Watertite, otherwise I'd use a mixture of West epoxy w/microballons, but you can discuss your situation with Interlux directly, they will give you the best advice you could get.

Contact Us

By Phone:
We are happy to answer any product questions you may have and to give technical support on the application of our products. The Interlux technical service helpline 800-468-7589 is open Monday through Friday to assist you.

This post has been deleted
#4 ·
Thanks for the tip!

Have you used it personally? I will defer to your experience, but this was copy and pasted from the interlux description.

Interprotect Watertite YAV135 is an excellent fairing compound due to its unique two-phase cure, which gives a long easy-to-sand window. Interprotect Watertite YAV135 can be applied to a thickness of 3/4" without sagging and its superior spreadability makes it an ideal glazing compound for filling small nicks and scratches.

I have no idea, I'll give them a call. thanks for the input!
At $50+ a can, I used far more of this stuff than I want to remember...

If you go to
yachtpaint.com - the official site of International and Interlux paints

Here's their comments on several products:

Interfill Epoxy Filler
[/URL]
A two part epoxy putty designed for fairing and smoothing a surface when a fine finish is required.
Watertite
[/URL]
Interprotect Watertite YAV135 is especially recommended for use to fill gelcoat blisters below the waterline. It is recommended for use with the Interprotect Epoxy Barrier System or VC Tar2.
The key words above that should be retained in any reference for Watertite is "below the waterline", otherwise forget it and its expense. Whatever the "sanding window" may be is not clear, and doesn't matter if you can't pick and chose when you can do your follow-on work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.