Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-13-2010
S/V Jackfish Girl

Flightsport is on a distinguished road
Leaking Portlights - new pics

I am trying to figure out what the heck to do with the leaking windows on my 1977 Columbia C-26T. I took off the inside retainer hoping that the windows would easily come free for me to remove and re-bed. Not the case. As you can see from these pictures, there is very old bedding in 5 of the 6 windows. My question is this, can I get away with just caulking/sealing the hell out of these, as they lay, or, like I presume, must the windows be removed? Removing the window scares the hell out of me as I'm afraid of breaking something and having a much larger problem on hand. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Leaking Portals - new pics-img_9824.jpg   Leaking Portals - new pics-img_9828.jpg   Leaking Portals - new pics-img_9831.jpg   Leaking Portals - new pics-img_9826.jpg   Leaking Portals - new pics-img_9825.jpg  

Last edited by Flightsport; 06-08-2010 at 02:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I would flood the outside of the window to see if it is the outside bedding is leaking, if it is, then I would work on removing the window very slowly; I used the wide end of a small catspaw and very slowly broke the seal around the port ( working it all the way around )

If the outside isn't leaking, it could be just condensation getting behind the inside trim over time ( looks like you might have slick walls )

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-13-2010
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road
I had the same fears last year when the port over the galley was leaking...however I fear the admiral more than any project so removed and rebedded the porthole.

I used a wide putty knife and worked it under the frame on the outside. I used a heat gun and carefully warmed the area to "loosen" the sealant. Ended up being painless to get the porthole out.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2010
S/V Jackfish Girl

Flightsport is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. Slick walls? If that means moisture running down from the through-deck bolts on the top of the cabin, I agree. I am working on removing the mast step bracket and resealing and caulking in and around the bracket and screws. It does seem like water is getting into the ceiling, running down and hitting the window frames. I think I just gotta bight the bullet and yank the portholes.
Old 05-13-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightsport View Post
I think I just gotta bight the bullet and yank the portholes.
Probably the best thing

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-13-2010

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
if the cauking if 3-m 5200 you have a job on your hands,your most likely going to destroy the window removing it. i would research new windows before i attempted.btw liquid dish soap helps as much or more than anything
Old 05-13-2010

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
My wife and I just did all four of ours and it was quite difficult. In addition to the wide putty knife, we also used a utility knife to cut away what we could and that seemed to help. The key was an adhesive remover, sprayed it on and let soak, that really loosened the port lights. We rebedded using butly tape and 4200 adhesive sealant with UV inhibitor. We then went on and did both jib tracks. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2010

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
In addition we epoxied the core seam of the window to prevent water from entering the core and possibly damaging the wood. I think we got that idea from someone on this site.
Old 05-16-2010

donlofland is on a distinguished road
I recently rebedded my Catalina 27 deadlights, which at the factory were bedded with butyl tape. I went around the outside frame with a putty knife and mallet, loosening a little bit of the frame at a time, and then they popped out easily.

I think I see a bead of bedding in one of your pics, and probing that should give you an idea if it's rock hard 5200, or something softer and easier to work with.
Old 05-17-2010

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
I would tear them out (but I'm new to this stuff). I have a Catalina 30 whose windows were leaking very badly. Once I removed them, I noticed that the wood between the fiberglass was damp and starting to rot. The outer and inner fiberglass was starting to separate and not sturdy at all.

I let the wood dry out, removed the really bad stuff, then used 610 to firm and seal everything up (not the windows...just the structure). Also bought a rebuild kit for the windows.

I guess my point is that I wouldn't have know of the damage to the structure if I hadn't removed the windows completely.