SailNet Community

SailNet Community (
-   Gear & Maintenance (
-   -   Skeg Hung Rudder Question (

reignmaker 05-13-2010 02:23 PM

Skeg Hung Rudder Question
I have a Hughes 40, and I recently rebuilt the rudder. I am about to re-hang the rudder on the skeg, but I have a question about a component.

There is what appears to be some type of plastic 'washer' or spacer that was between the skeg shoe or gudgeon and the rudder shaft. The shaft sat on this disc and has been significantly worn, so it needs replacing. The question is anybody have any idea what type of plastic material this might be?

It is dark in color, almost like is has some graphite component, but flexible like nylon. Very dense, and hard wearing.

Any guidance would be appreciated,

Skipper Jer 05-13-2010 02:39 PM


reignmaker 05-13-2010 03:52 PM

just checked the DuPont website....sure sounds like Delrin...Thanks

GaryHLucas 05-13-2010 08:59 PM

Might be Delrin, but I'd use Nylatron (Molybedenum Disufide filled Nylon). A very tough self lubricating material commonly use to make wire rope sheaves on large cranes, and as wear pads between the sections of telescoping cranes. Did I mention it is cheap? McMaster Carr sells it.

Gary H. Lucas

Livia 05-17-2010 11:08 PM

Ours is delrin. Be careful if getting one fabricated - they absorb water and expand.

Pub911 05-18-2010 10:06 PM

I have a Hughes 38 and the bottom of the skeg hung rudder wobbles in the shoe. Maybe I need one too - if I had one it's long gone. Let me know what you find. Thanks.

By the way, GREAT Profile Pic, Livia.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) LLC 2000-2012

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome