Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-14-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Nothing wrong with delaying jobs for time/budget reasons. We all probably do this. As long as it is done right when it's done.
Old 05-14-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
It could be me BUT the point of this seems to be poking fun at people who are willing to spend the time and money to keep thee boat in good condition ?

When i go out for a race on Zzzoom (1970) be it hours or days i like the fact that i have confidence that the boats going to get us home alive

And theirs something about taking the pickle dish with something you bought back from the dead against much newer boats

Its only been raced 270 times in the last 15 years so i guess that's a dock queen to some

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
Tommays
I enjoy looking at and being on superbly restored and maintained boats.

There must be some item on your boat that is just good enough and that you will get to, but is not a priority.
Old 05-14-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
That's an inside joke for the rest of you about the bilge...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
Jiffy, you got a good look'n boat and a bilge so clean you can drink out of
Old 05-15-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
This thread is about "projects that are not quite perfect but good enough" according to the original poster, not just paint.
I think many including myself buy boats with the price at the bottom of the market and then invest time and money to repair the "good enough" fixes of the previous owner(s).
Old 05-15-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I though this was well-put:

"I would imagine this is like the difference between a good paint job on a car that will last for years and an over-the-top concours spray that you can peer into and see the future."

That said, I don't like do-it-over projects. I like to apply the "do no harm" principle too; if I am not going to aim for perfection - a slippery target at best - I want to do nothing that will make future repair difficult. No glopping on silicone. No cheap paint I will have to grind off. No substandard wiring practices. But I fabricate parts from SS and don't give them a perfect finish, I re-use good parts of old lines where it is less than critical, I shop thrift stores for floor mats and foul weather gear, I repair/rebuild systems when I can do it well and make them safe, and I could care less if my electronics are old.

I can't stop aging; why should my boat get out of it

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-16-2010
Grasshopper

JiffyLube is on a distinguished road
I'm basically the same as you on this matter.

Past owners of our boat had what work they did on it, done in a good and professional way. When I had more work to the boat, I try to maintain they same level of quality the POs did. The day I have to sell our boat, at least the new owner will know he's getting a pretty well maintained boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I though this was well-put:

"I would imagine this is like the difference between a good paint job on a car that will last for years and an over-the-top concours spray that you can peer into and see the future."

That said, I don't like do-it-over projects. I like to apply the "do no harm" principle too; if I am not going to aim for perfection - a slippery target at best - I want to do nothing that will make future repair difficult. No glopping on silicone. No cheap paint I will have to grind off. No substandard wiring practices. But I fabricate parts from SS and don't give them a perfect finish, I re-use good parts of old lines where it is less than critical, I shop thrift stores for floor mats and foul weather gear, I repair/rebuild systems when I can do it well and make them safe, and I could care less if my electronics are old.

I can't stop aging; why should my boat get out of it
Old 05-16-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
"if I am not going to aim for perfection - a slippery target at best - I want to do nothing that will make future repair difficult. "

I find if a aim for perfection the inevitable OOPS that slip in leave me with a pretty good job

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-16-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
"if I am not going to aim for perfection - a slippery target at best - I want to do nothing that will make future repair difficult. "

I find if a aim for perfection the inevitable OOPS that slip in leave me with a pretty good job
Good point.

Perfect in conception, serviceable and durable in execution?

I always through I was not too worried about resale value and did my work accordingly. I had my last boat for 16 years; I bought her in good condition, maintained her and did some upgrades, and sold her for more than I paid for her in the middle of the down market. Eventually, it seems resale matters.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 05-16-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I think many including myself buy boats with the price at the bottom of the market.
And the owners of every one of them believed that every project they did was "good enough".