SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Good enough (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/64694-good-enough.html)

Ulladh 05-13-2010 06:19 PM

Good enough

This thread is for those projects that are not quite perfect but good enough to keep use sailing and not stuck in an endless persuit of perfect.

To start top side and deck paint.
Do you want a finish quality that looks good with nose pressed to hull, or from the adjacent slip, across the fairway or a passing glance 100ft from the fuel dock.
The boat still floats which ever finish you select.

I generaly do a clean, light sand and west marine polyurethane top coat in the spring if my finish looks tired, but otherwise I would rather be sailing.

sawingknots 05-13-2010 08:03 PM

i agree,i like doing repairs on my boat when i find the time but it is a boat and meant to be used

poopdeckpappy 05-13-2010 09:46 PM

Alot of guys I know go by the 1 to 1 ratio ( so they say ), if you have a 40' boat, it must look good 40' foot away, I have my wife check out my work, if she can't find the flaw(s) then nobody can and I'm good to go

bljones 05-13-2010 10:04 PM

If you haven't got the time or money to do it right... will you have the time or money to do it right when you have to do it again??
A quality paint job with quality prep and quality materials will last 5-10 years. A quick job with cheap materials and quick prep will last 2-3. No time savings, no money savings.

There aren't a whole lot of things you can cut corners on that won't cost you more time and money in the long run.

Is your boat "meant to be used" or meant to be used for years?

How many of you curse something, or maybe everything, that the PO of your boat has done?
Guess what? He thought "good enough" was good enough.

mitiempo 05-13-2010 11:38 PM

Everything bljones said. A boat is not a house. If you're going to do something it only makes sense to do it right the first time.

JiffyLube 05-14-2010 12:09 AM

We all appreciate a good looking boat, but many of us to not necessarily want to pay the price it costs. Some people are really anal about certain things, and others are good with the expression "Looks good from my house." I guess it all gets down to what you want.

mitiempo 05-14-2010 12:23 AM

I don't see it being about looks really. The prep time for a cheap paint job is the same as for a good long lasting paint job. Yes the paint is more expensive but if it lasts years longer it saves a lot of labour as the cheaper paint needs replacing more often. a good 2 part paint job on a hull should last 8 years or longer. And the long lasting paint may look better. It also applies to sails, hardware, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical items. cosmetics aren't the issue but reliability and durability should be.

dillybar 05-14-2010 12:54 AM

You never regret doing the job right. Remember...
"There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it again".

poopdeckpappy 05-14-2010 12:55 AM

I just don't want to be the PO that gets cussed at

poopdeckpappy 05-14-2010 12:58 AM

Jiffy, you got a good look'n boat and a bilge so clean you can drink out of :D