Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-13-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
what i would do to save cost and still have it be a diy job. is to get a rigger ( mail order ) to make up all the cables with pressed fittings on the top, and have the cables a little long. then cut and use stayloc or what ever on the bottom end. this makes sense because you will save a little money on not using the mechanical fittings for the whole thing. but it is still a diy job, and some parts are reusable. also having a mechanical fitting where you cant check them easily is a bad idea in my mind.

this is what i did when i needed a new stay, cost for a 38 foot stay with a pressed top and the stayloc fitting was about 80 bucks ( cable size .220 ) at that price my whole boat would be less than 700 ( 8 total stays/shrouds 36' mast length )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
If you want to do it yourself, drop the mast, meaure everything, and have the pieces made up. A thousand for labor actually doesn't sound unreasonable. That's only 10 hours at $100 per hour.

I have to agree with your retired rigger friend. My previous 7000 lb 30 footer had all 1/4" stays and shrouds. My current 33 footer has 5/16" forestay and backstay and 1/4" shrouds.
Old 05-14-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyt View Post
what i would do to save cost and still have it be a diy job. is to get a rigger ( mail order ) to make up all the cables with pressed fittings on the top, and have the cables a little long. then cut and use stayloc or what ever on the bottom end. this makes sense because you will save a little money on not using the mechanical fittings for the whole thing. but it is still a diy job, and some parts are reusable. also having a mechanical fitting where you cant check them easily is a bad idea in my mind.

this is what i did when i needed a new stay, cost for a 38 foot stay with a pressed top and the stayloc fitting was about 80 bucks ( cable size .220 ) at that price my whole boat would be less than 700 ( 8 total stays/shrouds 36' mast length )
We are also going this route. Although we decided to go with swage fittings top and bottom - I doubt we will have the same boat in 10 or more years when it is ready to be replaced again (the originals have held up for over 20). I'll add that dending on the manufacturer of your existing rigging, you may or may not be able to get compatible mechanical toggles for the upper ends. You may want to PM Knothead on this site (Steve Smith). He and his company SSMR are making our wires, and he has been exteremely helpful in terms of being available to discuss the project and walk us through the process. I never would have known that there are slight differences in t-ball fittings between manufactuers, and that they are not all compatible with the same backing plates. That advice alone has saved us a lot of potential missery, not to mention wasted money. PM me if you want his number.
Old 05-16-2010

donlofland is on a distinguished road
I was able to drop the ?33-35' deck stepped mast on my boat at the dock and bring it home with a dinghy trailor-not a walk in the park, but once home, reinstalling new standing rigging on the mast was a breeze.

I went with a local swaging company, Seattle area, for simplicity.

But if I had to do it again, unless I was replacing only one shroud, (which unfortunately I do have to do since I bent a stud when it caught in the companionway as we were cranking the mast back to vertical again), I would bring the mast down.

It would probably even be worth the cost of crane time, and even so it sounds like you would save $ compared to hiring a rigger.
Old 05-16-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
As for tools, you'll need a drill (if you are going to upsize with lubricant), spray for stuck pins, wire cutters on deck, tape measure, silicone or 5200, wrenches, pliers. Also if you do this while the mast is up you need a way to hold the tang compression tubes from falling through the mast while you are aloft and a whole lot of stuff. Good luck to you!
Old 05-16-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
I'd do as suggested and order a bit overlong with swages for the top end and use mechanical for the bottom end. The mechanical fittings (Sta-Lok, Hayn, etc) are easy to use. I wouldn't oversize unless changing every fitting, on mast as well as possibly the chainplates. Rigging should be set up to about 20% of its max working load and larger wire will have more loads. More load and a drilled out fitting with less meat around the hole is a bad combination.
Old 06-30-2011

sailingkiko is on a distinguished road
i just bought a 73 irwin 32.5 that needs a complete Restoration and is missing the standing rigging and the spreaders i am in puerto vallarta mexico living aboard. i want to do all the work myself any idea on the cheapest way to go....
Old 06-30-2011

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Buy bulk wire of the right size. Install spreaders. Get a local rigger to swage the upper ends or use Hayn Hi-Mods which are easy to use and will not require a rigger. Leave them long and hold the mast up temporarily with 4 lines and the rigging attached to the mast. Get it in column. Do the lower ends one at a time with Hayn Hi-Mods.
Old 06-30-2011

where is the best place to buy it an ship it to mexico, thanks for your help and by the way do you know where to buy a set of spreaders to fit my boat thanks again
Old 06-30-2011

spreaders irwin 32.5 cc

hi i need help i just bought a a irwin 32.5 and its missing the spreaders can somebody give me the messurements and maybe a picture would be nice help please

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.