Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-17-2010

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road
boom end castings stuck

The internal outhaul on my C&C 29-2 is jammed. I decide to remove the end fittings to fix it and possibly upgrade. I drilled out the stainless rivets and punched the mandrels. The fittings won't budge. Tried prying them off, a little hammer work- no way. Anybody got any good ideas? Thinking about tying a line through gooseneck area and pulling them off with a truck and hitch. Help! before I do something irretrievably wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Make sure the pop rivets are actually drilled out. Many times the hollow part will remain even though it looks like it's gone. you can use the next size up pop rivets when you reassemble it.

There is probably that white residue that Alum gets over the years and it's working like cement keeping things from coming apart. Hope you have the boom of the boat! I had the same situation on my boom last year. I also could have made a months worth of birds nest soup! EW!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2010

14432 is on a distinguished road
Once you're sure the rivets are removed you need to deal with the oxidation. I've used penetrating oil with success. Squirt a little and the tap all around the fitting - especially where the rivets were. If the rivets were stainless, there's likely heavy oxidation around them. Squirt oil in the rivet holes and tap there as well. A hard "plastic" mallet is probably better than a steel hammer. It's easy to damage the fitting.

Some pics may yield some further advice.
Old 05-17-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Aside from makeing sure all the rivets are out, as previously suggested, try soaking with PB Blaster penetrating oil for a few days then give it another shot. A deadblow hammer (rubber faced) may be useful, but remember that aluminum is easly bent and warped. Some heat could help, but could also ruin the finish on the boom.
Old 05-17-2010

Thanks all for the advice. I am going to drill the holes a little larger just to be sure that all of the rivet is out. Next step I will soak with PB Blaster. Then the dead blow hammer. I have the boom off the boat since the boat is still on the hard awaiting some touch up Awl-Grip work.
Old 05-17-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
Dont go a bit bigger as the NEW rivets will not WORK

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-17-2010

75R20 is on a distinguished road
You didn't mention what your boat is ,but if US built, the rivets are probably 3/16". Drill to that size and look closely to see if you got them. A little tapping of the cap and boom and it should be clear if you got all of them or not. If after soaking and tapping, if you still can't get it to move, you could always drill oversize to a #7 or 7/32" and tap the caps for 1/4" 20 bolts and then use stainless fasteners when you go back together. I prefer "button head allen" type fasteners for this.
Also look in the sail track for a "hidden" rivet or screw.
Best of luck
Kary
S/V Mariah
Old 05-18-2010

Kary- You must have a 29-2 to know that. Mine is US built and yes those were 3/16" stainless rivets. I've been busy with work so I haven't proceeded. I like the idea of drilling a little oversize and tapping. I did drill the rivets in the sail track. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you've done it before.
Old 05-19-2010

75R20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
Kary- You must have a 29-2 to know that. Mine is US built and yes those were 3/16" stainless rivets. I've been busy with work so I haven't proceeded. I like the idea of drilling a little oversize and tapping. I did drill the rivets in the sail track. Thanks for the advice. Sounds like you've done it before.
Many....MANY times. Not on a 29-2 but a boom is ...... a boom.

I'd also recommend adding helicoils to the casting, so that the stainless bolts screw into stainless, if you decide to go that route.
Bolts and helicoils are also stronger, but do you really need it, if rivets held it for this many years. (in other words ...who cares)
The white oxidation cleans off easy enough, my boom used to drip for several hours into the cockpit after a good rain, before I took off the end casting and cleaned it, now it's clear in a matter of minutes.

You'd be surprised what people bring me to repair....... I'm not anymore.
Best of luck
Kary
S/V Mariah

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.