Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-17-2010

jjns is on a distinguished road
heat and stainless

Speaking of GOOD ENOUGH.
The shrink wrap came off my boat on saturday and exposed the 2 bushels of oak leaves the shrinkers didn't bother to remove before sealing it up, stained the deck pretty badly, 5 hours of scrubbing and it looks like it needs a good cleaning.
Then I saw the top 1/2 of my lazy jacks beating the hell out of the mast and I found myself wondering what happened to the dummy ropes I ran to them to keep them tied down for the winter (and ease the re-install come spring) now someone will have to climb the mast and re-thread them. (Shrinkers cut them off, guess they felt they were in the way?)
Standing on the deck, it took awhile to realize why the pull-pit looked funny, like it was stained in places. Then I realized they must have had the torch too close while shrinking the wrap as it has discoloured the railings in several places, further inspection shows the same issue with the stanchions and push-pit.
SD - I didn't have a camera with me, so no pictures at this time.

So, do I need to worry about the structural integrity of this heat-treatment on my stainless railings?
If not, how would one "clean" it up.

I wonder if the shrinkers will still think their job was GOOD ENOUGH when they get the bill for the clean-up?

Last edited by jjns; 05-17-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2010

merc2dogs is on a distinguished road
Should be only be discolored, if the torch was applied long enough to affect the metal, the shrink would have burned up. stainless steels typically have heat treatment temps of over 1000 degrees C. (about 1800 F) Soft scotch-brite type pads, scrubbies, or polish should remove the discoloring ken.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook