Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-17-2010

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your boat.
Save all the pieces, they could be used as patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2010
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Spruce is as common in the PNW as hemlock is in the mid atlantic. Scarf joints made on a 8 to 1 angle and epoxy glued. they will be stronger then the lumber. the hard part is finding someone with the woodworking ability. Again that should be a short search in the PNW. It doesn't have to be Sitka Spruce it can be northern spruce. Both are acceptable.

I don't know about Oaklahoma. I think you will have to travel some. EdenSaw woods comes to mind here. Edensaw Woods Home Page

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2010

ronspiker is on a distinguished road
The PNW will have the spruce, I do know of a wooden mast maker in Maine

S & T Masts and Spars www.shawandtenney.com

Old 05-17-2010
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Just cut the mast sections out above and below the damaged areas at the glue joins. Making new box sections (it is a boxed mast correct?) is not hard. If I had your stick, I could rebuild it. I would suggest nothing less than 12:1 scarphs for a mainmast. Build a jig to make the cuts, actually two. One for the sides and on for the fore and aft sections and use a planer to cut the join angles. I would use a fine saw or even a multitool to cut away the bad sections. Be very careful not to cut into the adjoining sections. Using a chisel or other hand tools to do the last inch or so in case there was a special join used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-17-2010

Gene T is on a distinguished road
As luck would have it this add on our craigs list. Sitka Spruce boards.
Maybe he will ship.

Sitka Spruce

Gene

Currently in Long Beach, CA
Old 05-17-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Bummer!

But chin up!

Clear spruce is sill to be had here in the PNW...3 years ago a laid down and old growth that was 52" at the butt...which I measured 4' from the ground when measured....I could have made you 40 masts.

Very sorry for your predicament...

FWIW...Happiness was Oklahoma in my rear view mirror.

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 05-17-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2010

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
In response to Gene T craigslist posting maybe someone in or near Walnut Creek could run by and take a look see at the boards. I'm wondering if the craigslist poster meant $5.00 a board foot instead of $5.00 per board.
Check this thread for a person in Walnut Creek
Local boat buying assistance
Old 05-17-2010
Old Gringo

fjon is on a distinguished road
Oh man! Tornadoes are the worst destructive force on the planet in a short time frame. The Gall of those bastids trying to keep owners from salvaging their boats. Good for you and the group of owners for blowing them aside. She's a lovely boat and I wish you the best in getting her whole again. I grew up in So. Ok. going to the celler when a twister threatened, which was often. Still, the 60,000' high thunder bumpers that move through with half an hour of constant lightning are one of the only things I miss about Okla. Lake Thunderbird was my nature escape while attending OU. I hope your resuscitation of her goes smoothly and provides unanticipated bennys.

There is more to life than increasing its speed. ~ Mohandas K. Gandhi

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. ~ Samuel Clemmons
Old 05-18-2010

rawsonnut is on a distinguished road
Thank you

A big thank you to all for the assistance and the well wishes. As the days go by it seems a little less impossible. This forum will have to be my sailing fix for a few months and I am sure I will have more questions. Who knows I might have to start a rebuilding thread.http://www.sailnet.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif
Old 05-18-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Those boats are well built. Mr Rawson whom built those not too far from where I grew up built fishing boats before the sailing series of boats, that went from here in puget sound up to alaska and back ALL the time. Also an FYI for you, not sure of the month, but a Rawson pilot house will be a review boat in GOB in the coming 6-9 months or there abouts.

If you find spruce here in the seattle area, let me or others know, we can check it out for you. There should be some somewhere.

marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.