Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-18-2010

Tanley is on a distinguished road
Drill through guard or pedestal?

Couple of questions as I don't like drilling holes in boats.
  1. I need to run a cable for an X-5 Autopilot drive. I have good access from below decks up inside the pedestal. I'd prefer to run it this way as it will result in a shorter length of exposed cable in the cockpit (vs. running it through the pedestal guard). I can secure the cable inside the pedestal so it wouldn't present a hazard to the steering system. Any other concerns about drilling a 1/4" hole in, or running cable up the pedestal vs. the guard? Am I risking getting water inside the pedestal or is it practical to make that pass through water tight?

2. Any personal experience with grommets for weather tightness and to protect from abrasion against the drilled metal? Would something like this hold up above decks?

Rubber Grommet Assortment Kit

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2010

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Weatherproofing isn't a problem. The grommets are good for chafe guard. Just coat the wire and grommet with a marine sealant for additional protection.

I'd be a bit concerned about passing autopilot wires thru the pedestal if they're anywhere near your compass. As you know, any current passing thru a wire creates an electromagnetic field around the wire; the strength of that field -- and the potential for mischief -- depends on several factors. You might run a test...if that's practical...before finalizing the installation.

Bill
Old 05-18-2010
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Any time that a wire will be installed through any thing you should use chafe protection. That is the only function of the grommet. This would apply to passing the wire / cable through either your pedestal, or the pedestal guard.

If you are concerned about waterproofing, get one of these;

or these;

or these;

BTW - these are called Deck Glands

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

Last edited by eherlihy; 05-18-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-18-2010

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
As you refer indirectly above, be careful to keep the wire away from moving parts inside the pedestal...chains, cables, etc.

That said, I considered the same but found it more attractive to run up inside a guard tube then enter the instrument box without ever exposing the cable - a cleaner look and I think safer from abraision and weather. I 'hogged out' the SS tube right where the navpod box attaches and passed the AP cable into the navpod at that point. No unsightly wires.

Good luck.

Last edited by Pub911; 05-18-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-18-2010

scraph is on a distinguished road
I'd pass it through the rail as mentioned above through something as simple as a grommet. I, personally, would not get too bent out of shape about "weatherproofing" the penetration. Ensure, if your decks are cored, that the hole you make in the deck at the base of the rail is sealed from the core. However ... I wouldn't make the (ineffective) mess of installing a grommet with sealant. It's not going to work very well in this location ... simply due to the combined difficulties of the curved sealing surfaces and potential for relative motion of wire in grommet or grommet in rail if you ever bump the cable.

Any amount of water entry through this penetration would collect harmlessly in the rail foot and if it does happen to drip into the boat ... would be so minimal you might as well call it humidity. It's not going to sink your boat if you don't get a cable penetration through a pedestal rail absolutely waterproof.
Old 05-20-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
I installed all of our chartplotter and autopilot cables up throught the pedestal gaurd. Used a bolt with fishing line to fish the line up through the tubes and out the drilled hole. Gromet on the drilled hole. Do not forget to put rubber on the lower edges of gaurd tubes so their is no chafe when the line enters from the engine area into the pedestal gaurd. Also secure the cables so they do not swing or pull once installed.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner