Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-18-2010

cabron99 is on a distinguished road
Stainless Steel Bottom

Well, its that time again. Strip & redo the bottom. This time around, I ran across an outfit that applies stainless steel dust in a marine grade matrix. They claim wipe or hose off about once every three months and the coat lasts for 10 (TEN!!) years. My boat and this company are located in SoCal.

Been involved with boats for some time. A stainless bottom sounds pretty cool. Any thoughts??

Pat
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2010

newpbs is on a distinguished road
What?

More information would be helpful, product name, company information.Also, if you decide to go this route, photos would be fantastic.

Thanks

Paul
Old 05-18-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
sounds like scam, pat I was under the impression that only copper is the metal to use on bottoms. What practical use would SS powder be? slime would still grow on it...no?

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Actually it's well known by us experts that monel works much better than stainless in this application, unless money is no object in which case you go for the really good stuff- unatanium. Can't be beat.
Old 05-18-2010

tomwatt is on a distinguished road
I've heard of adding graphite powder to the mix for beachable small boats, to aid in their sliding along... but I can't imagine the function stainless steel powder would be intended to add.
Old 05-18-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
All kidding aside, I would ask for a customer list to see if they have any local references. I've never heard of anybody using stainless on a bottom, and I don't even think it can be done. There have been many companies out there that claim x years between coats and have been disproven many a times. Chances are, they are going to take the money and go out of business before you make a claim.

If you want a good metal coated bottom, then check out a copper coat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-18-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Why would you want a stainless bottom. Everyone knows food sticks easily to a stainless pan. Now T-Fal, that may be the answer.
Old 05-19-2010

cabron99 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpbs View Post
More information would be helpful, product name, company information.Also, if you decide to go this route, photos would be fantastic.

Thanks

Paul

Paul... The company name is Marine Solutions (marinesolutions..biz) (Take out the extra dot)

They were doing the coating with copper powder, but the Cal EPA didn't like it, even though the coating is hard, doesn't slough off, and was PURE copper, not any oxide compound. I guess the tests with this resulted with a slight slime over the period of I think a year. No hard growth.
The stainless is super smooth (Its not actually powder, its stainless micro-balls - ie, round) and doesn't provide much of a foothold for growth. The claim is wipe or hose off once a quarter. Minor hard growth comes off with a kitchen sponge.

I am researching this, and if applied I will have plenty of pics. I saw a sample of the material buffed out. Not quite chrome, but very shiny, and smooth. I was having some thoughts about electrolysis and/or oxygen starved stainless. More thoughts?? BTW the copper coat is legal outside California. I told him he should set up shop in Baja.

Pat
Old 05-19-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabron99 View Post
Paul... The company name is Marine Solutions (marinesolutions..biz) (Take out the extra dot)

They were doing the coating with copper powder, but the Cal EPA didn't like it, even though the coating is hard, doesn't slough off, and was PURE copper, not any oxide compound. I guess the tests with this resulted with a slight slime over the period of I think a year. No hard growth.
The stainless is super smooth (Its not actually powder, its stainless micro-balls - ie, round) and doesn't provide much of a foothold for growth. The claim is wipe or hose off once a quarter. Minor hard growth comes off with a kitchen sponge.

I am researching this, and if applied I will have plenty of pics. I saw a sample of the material buffed out. Not quite chrome, but very shiny, and smooth. I was having some thoughts about electrolysis and/or oxygen starved stainless. More thoughts?? BTW the copper coat is legal outside California. I told him he should set up shop in Baja.

Pat
Barnacles grow all over SS and they know it. Sounds like fraud to me.

None of the copper coating schemes have worked either, because the binder ends up shielding the particles. Sad that we keep listening without 3rd party proof, but some still think crop circles are interesting. If I really believed in the system, I would get panels and dunk them for a year. If I was the manufacturer I would make about 100 panels and send them to all the mags.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber