Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-19-2010

Lidgard29 is on a distinguished road
Do I really need to pull the mast out?

I'm thinking about replacing the standing rigging on my 1992 Lidgard 29. The current rigging is about 10 years old. I had one rigger look at it, and he suggested that to do the job right, I need to have the entire mast pulled out and transported to his shop. He could look at it better there. Is this really overkill? Isn't it enough just to inspect it in the boat. Can't I just jack the mast up a little to see how it is sitting on the step and how it looks around the cabin top?
Old 05-19-2010

scottyt is on a distinguished road
this could go both ways

in his shop if something comes up like a bad sheave or a bad anchor point for a shroud it would be cheaper to fix than if it was on the boat. also he may charge less per hour as he is not up in the air doing work on it, also some things can be done faster on the ground.

now the bad side somethings can be done faster on the ground but the price may not change, ie he makes more per hour. also is he local or is he going to charge and arm and a leg to transport the mast? the boat is not that old depending on how its been used it may not need a full work over. or the boat could be very used ( charter ) and it could use to be pulled.

what is his quote to do it off the boat vrs on the boat? and did you get a second quote from any one else.

this is a decision you need to make based on what you think as you know the boat better than we do. if the boat has seen light use i fresh water is a lot different than heavy use in the bahamas.

also get someone else to look at it
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2010

AlanBrown is on a distinguished road
I not sure why you want to replace 10-year old rigging, unless you are seeing serious signs of rusting or stretching.
Old 05-19-2010
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Why replace???

Ditto Alan Browns comment
Old 05-19-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
If it needs replacing, which would be doubtful after 10 years of light use, the easiest and most affordable way is to order the wire with swages at the top and a bit longer than necessary. Use mechanical fittings (Sta-Lok, Hayn or other) at the bottom and replace each yourself one at a time. The cost for the lot should be less than $800 to $1000. It is not a hard job.
Old 05-19-2010
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
I don't know the Lidgard 29 at all...but it sounds like it first had rigging replaced at only 8 years old. Is it a racing boat, and thus with higher stresses on the rigging? Or mainly recreational, weekend use? Makes a difference.

I think this rigger is just trying to drum up his own business. Once the mast is at his shop, he can come up with all sorts of: "Well, since the mast is already here, we might as welldo this...or do that"...and before you know it, we're talking big money, when all it maybe needed was inspection and a couple new tangs, maybe.

If he doesn't feel comfortable with an onboard rigging, "up the mast" inspection, then what's he a rigger for, and perhaps you might want to get a different rigger. Or as someone suggested, study some rigging books and do your own work...it's not really all that hard if you study.
Old 05-19-2010

75R20 is on a distinguished road
If the boats on the hard, I understand his thought process. If you want to go to the top of the mast and make the measurements, and "do all the leg work" you could save alot of money over having the rigger do it, IF it's in the water.
Be careful going up the mast and use safety precautions, and have spotters.
Above all be safe, and figure that facet into his estimate, as he is not going to put his life on the line for you, and you should not put yourself at risk, if you are unsure about any of this. Above all else, be safe !

P.S. Most riggers I know work out of a facility that has a lift and working area for boats so transporting the mast any further then necessary is lost on me.
Best of luck
Kary
S/V Mariah
Old 05-19-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough
The difference between doing it yourself and the rigger could be several thousand dollars depending on "what else he feels needs replacing".
Old 05-19-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
With a 29 you should be able to go aloft, or careen the boat, or pull alongside something so you can eyeball the masthead without pulling the mast. You can inspect the shrouds with an eyeball, some binocs, and a rag. Wrap the rag around each shroud, use an uphaul+downhaul to haul it up and down. If there are no meathooks, no catches, it is probably pefectly good. One meathook is enough to condemn the wire though.

Same thing for wear aloft at the spreaders and other points--you should be able to get a close enough look without pulling the stick, unless there's been something extreme to concern you. 20 years, sure, replace away. But at ten with moderate use? Nah. Find a rigger who doesn't drive a fancy car or serve caviar to the customers.
Old 05-19-2010

donlofland is on a distinguished road
You could pull the mast, (~$175 for the crane in my neck of the woods, I think), take your old rigging in to the swager and have new rigging swaged, (~$800-900 for my 27 footer), and replace it yourself. So much easier to do with the mast down, get a good personal look at your boat's rigging/condition, learn lots.

Then use the posts here to step and tune the mast-lots of helpful info here.