Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-20-2010
Red

redhead78 is on a distinguished road
sail problem

Hi all, I just got some bad news from sailmaker, I brought it in to get ultrviolet covers repaired, she told me my genoa was delaminating, it may last for a year or a month. She asked me to come see what the deal is, not knowing alot about sails she thought it best to explain in person. From the gist of what she is saying, I think what she is saying is maybe I should not dump 2 or 3 hundred $ into a sail that may be close to finished. The shop is John Eggers Sailmakers/riggers, I trust her to her word, as around our club we have been using them forever with no complaints. Its a family affair, they are pros...I have a feeling its going to be an expensive item....Any WAGS, for a genny 38' Jeanneau???? Red
Old 05-20-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
Hi all, I just got some bad news from sailmaker, I brought it in to get ultrviolet covers repaired, she told me my genoa was delaminating, it may last for a year or a month. She asked me to come see what the deal is, not knowing alot about sails she thought it best to explain in person. From the gist of what she is saying, I think what she is saying is maybe I should not dump 2 or 3 hundred $ into a sail that may be close to finished. The shop is John Eggers Sailmakers/riggers, I trust her to her word, as around our club we have been using them forever with no complaints. Its a family affair, they are pros...I have a feeling its going to be an expensive item....Any WAGS, for a genny 38' Jeanneau???? Red

Consider purchasing a used sail. Racers seem to discard their sails every season or so. I bet there are some great deals out there.

used sails - Google Search
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2010
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead78 View Post
....Any WAGS, for a genny 38' Jeanneau???? Red
Red,

Here is a ROM from a major manufacturer for my 39-footer for a 125% Jib:
~$2,600 for dacron
~$3,300 for a laminate

There's lots of if-then-elses on what is included, fabric weight, etc, etc, etc - but you wanted a ROM - that's a pretty good one. Your local loft has lower overhead and can probably beat that.
Old 05-20-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Red,

IIRC there are a couple of sails for sale at the jeanneau owners site, not sure which will fit if at all your Ginn Fizz. Otherwise, for used try Bacon sails among others. Or click the FX sails to the left, they have measurements and prices of different wts and types. Right now I can not get the site to load, but.......bacon also has new sails.

I have an Ullman 140 CAL, CAL standing of Cruise Axil Laminate, a laminate for the price of a decent dacron, lighter wt material, goes iinto higher ranges, and lower wind range than a dacron too. You might look at that option as well.

marty
Old 05-20-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
FX sails and possibly some other on-line lofts may well have better 'deals'.. but personal service and backup has value too, as does supporting your local marine enterprises.

The used sail approach works too, esp if you're not seriously racing. I've got a set of used J105 sails that fit with mostly minimal recuts - great deal with 2 seasons on them already.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-20-2010

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
National Sail Supply shows about $2000 for a basic dacron 135 or 150 for a Catalina 38. Guessing size is close to you.
Old 05-20-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
FX does not have a Gin Fizz listed, they do have a sunfizz! priced from 2300 for an inshore double stiched panel 130 to 4297 for a triple stiched off shore triradial laminate, with the triple stiched dacron at about $2800 If you want a pentax race sail.......4500 for a 155! not too much more than a dacron tri radial!

marty
Old 05-21-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I purchased a very lightly used North 142% (cruising laminate) for $1100 last fall through Bacon Sails in Annapolis. Great sail and I'd recommend them. Fall is a great time to buy with lots of inventory as many people get rid of sails at the end of the season. If you can make the sail last 3 or 4 months, the "used" route may be beneficial. I only looked for sails in "excellent" condition, but there is a wide variety with more experience