Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-21-2010

nightsky is on a distinguished road
Fresh water tank in bad shape

Hi,
I recently purchased a 1987 O'day 27 LE. The freshwater tank is in bad shape. It's 30 gallons, square at top and comes to a V at the bottom. About 1 gallon of brown-orange sludge at the bottom. I want to clean out the nasty tank. Any suggestions about cutting an inspection/cleanout port in the tank? Location, drill or jigsaw, hole cover, silicone, etc.

I want to replace the Shurflo Model: 200-210-39 pump with a new Shurflo Model:2088. Sound OK? Anything I should know about.

I'd like to change the fresh water tubing and vent tubing as well. Any suggestions on sources for tubing?

Also the screw in cap for the fill tank on deck is not connected to the boat by it's ~ 5 inch chain. Any suggestions on where to purchase a new cap and chain as well as how to get the chain fixed to the water inlet tube? There isn't much room there (1.5 inch diameter hole) to work with.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2010
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
They make some 'inspection plate' fittings that might work for your fresh water tank: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|6880|48504&id=47593
I suppose the obvious mounting location would be on a flat surface on the top of the tank. The tool you use to cut your inspection port hole will likely be dictated by the kind of access you have to the top of the tank. A Dremel tool or the Fein multi-tool would probably work fine.
I would not use silicone as a bedding compound here but rather butyl tape or 3M 4200.
Defender carries all manner of potable water hose: http://www.defender.com/category.jsp?path=-1|51|106370&id=315127
as well as Raritan KO for the holding tank.
Sailnet also has a marine store and likely carries most, if not all, of these products.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2010

BarryL is on a distinguished road
inspection port

Hello,

I had a similar problem with my last boat (Newport 28). I could see lots of slime in the tank, but could not do anything about it. So I installed an inspection port, similar to the one at the bottom

I installed it on the top of the tank, where I could reach inside and reach the whole tank. I used a dremel to cut the top. I use some 3M sealant. The project was very easy to do.

Regarding fresh water pumps, the pumps under$150 are mostly the same. Above that price you get variable speed on demand pumps that probably work better, but cost too much for me to test.

Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Fresh water tank in bad shape-insp-port.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-21-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
FWIW

The 20 gallon INCA tank on my boats was only 130 dollars with the fittings were i wanted them

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-22-2010

thevdeub is on a distinguished road
any advice to scrub the tank ? tool ? etc ... for area out of reach .... i ve got very small black dot of solid "waste" that goes away where i can reach them... did anyone try a high pressured hose ?
Old 05-31-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
I was able to remove the 40 gallon tank in my Cal 9.2 and take it home for cleaning. There was a little bit of brace and reinforcement removal to get it out. After a week of multiple weak bleach treatments and flushings, it was usable and did not need to be replaced. I did not want to use strong bleach for residual chlorine smell. The tank was re-installed and all hoses replaced, even had to replace the hand pump in the head for the sink. That was 7 yrs ago and all is still well today.
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 05-31-2010

thevdeub is on a distinguished road
I gave up on mine. there are rivets all over the place and we are talking about 4 tanks embedded in furnitures etc.. not even sure i can pull them out of cabin without cutting them in half. Plus i realized that i would have to change the fresh water lines too. Right now, i dont need to drink from it, then the Bleach treatment sounds enough at this point.