Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-23-2010
seeker of wonder

SoulVoyage is on a distinguished road
Hypalon dinghy HELP sought!

I've got a 7 foot 'Seaworthy' hypalon dinghy that mostly row (well, okay....ALWAYS row...until I fix my british seagull).

I love rowing, and the Seworthy with her inflatable keel is a good boat to row...

IF you totally modify the oar-locks to withstand the pressures of using longer 8 foot spoon-bladed oars, that is. I made whitewater rafting-type outrigger-oarlocks for mine...these outriggers are attached to the original oarlock bases for simplicity, using teak formed blocks.

The system works great and many are amazed that I can row an inflatable with such speed, even into a headwind!

THE PROBLEM IS: my starboard oarlock original base has now COMPLETELY come off the dinghy tube!!!

It started gradually, and I first repaired it using the one-part glue that comes with the hypalon repair kit. This only worked for a couple days of rowing, and just this morning the whole thing came off. The port-side is still perfect and seems to take the additional stress of much longer oars with aplomb!!

Anybody know of a fairly inexpensive 2-part adhesive that would work STRONGLY on hypalon?? I'm very wary of getting some sort of two-part that may have some weird chemical reaction with the hypalon itself, so I'd be looking for something "tried and true".

I would think about using '5200' but I don't think it is strong enough in this case....and I am likewise worried about an adverse chemical reaction with the hypalon.

Any ideas for a quickly obtainable, VERY strong adhesive for hypalon that won't eat through the hypalon itself??? The repair shops use a 2-part adhesive but they won't sell it and charge an arm snd a leg for repairs!!

Last edited by SoulVoyage; 05-23-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2010

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Try WestSystems G-Flex epoxy

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 05-23-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
If you really love rowing why not get a real rowboat? Boats designed for rowing, row well, there are differences. Because your using really long oars they ripped the locks off from the stress. I found this; Hypalon - Adhesive - Adhesives Most rowing boats have a keel that has rocker in it. straight line or flat bottoms resist the rowing effort but they plane off under power.
My little 9ft water tender rowed wonderful.. but motored terribly, the faster we went with the motor the deeper she plowed.
Just my 2 cents

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 05-23-2010 at 06:20 PM.