Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-25-2010

sundog01 is on a distinguished road
Furling Halyard Swivel Problems

I have a ProFurl basic furling system and the halyard swivel is very tight and hard to turn. They are “supposedly” maintenance free. The directions state: “Not to use products like WD 40”. Is there any way to get the swivel swiveling again or is it not supposed to be loose like the other systems I checked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
While the Profurl swivel will not free spin like a Harken or Shaffer. It should not be hard to turn. It should be able to be rotated by a child.
The bearings are sealed steel bearings so spraying them with WD or anything else will not help.
Over the years, I have had to send a few back to the company to be rebuilt.

Is this a fairly new system?
Old 05-25-2010

I've had the boat 3 years and don't really know how old the furling system is. I have to use 2 hands to spin the swivel - so I'm thinking that is too tight. My guess is that the drum and all have to come off to replace that piece. Any hints? Thanks for your time.
Old 05-26-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog01 View Post
I've had the boat 3 years and don't really know how old the furling system is. I have to use 2 hands to spin the swivel - so I'm thinking that is too tight. My guess is that the drum and all have to come off to replace that piece. Any hints? Thanks for your time.

The swivel can be removed from the top by removing the washer that holds the top luff bearing in. Or it can come off the bottom by removing the drum and feeder.
If the system is still on the mast, the best bet is to take it off the bottom.

The bearings may have gotten some moisture in them causing a little rust to form which would likely cause them to stiffen up.

Could you take a picture or two of the swivel laying next to a tape measure. There is a chance that I have one but I need to know the exact dimensions.
Old 06-01-2010

Thanks for the offer. Was sailing last weekend and managed to pull it in under my own power going downwind in 10+ knots. If I take it apart I'm considering going back to hanking on the jib as I have another sail i'd like to use. Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
ive got the same set-up.... halyard wrap was my initial problem, but i went ahead and hit the swivel with a shot of wd-40 and it worked like a charm... guess i should have read the manual.... DOH!

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-03-2010

SeaFever2000 is on a distinguished road
I have found two reasons for the furler not swiveling easily (other than bad bearings etc.)

1. As mentioned above - halyard wrap. This is caused by the tightness of the swivel and is like a catch-22. This is solved by fixing the root cause - hardness of the swivel.
2. Excessive tension on the jib halyard. The excessive tension tilts the swivel and makes it hard to swivel. If by loosening the hayyard slightly the furler swivels easier then that is the issue. The halyard need only be tightened till it brings a 'slight crease on the luff of the sail. Obviously this should be done when the sail is unfurled.

If both of the above fail to help, and the swivel is hard to turn even when there is no tension on it (such as when the sail is out) then it is a problem of the bearing inside the swivel. Refer to Profurl's instructions to un-jam/loosen the same or follow some of the suggestions provided above.

I would not use WD-40 as it is not dry and tends to attract dirt and manifest into other issues in the long term. I always use Team McLube's 'Sailcote dry lubrication' in place of WD-40 on any of my above deck rigging related lubrication requirements. You can get Sailcote at West Marine or most any marine chandlery.

Last edited by SeaFever2000; 06-03-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: syntax