Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 05-27-2010
Hell-bent on the Bahamas

reignmaker is on a distinguished road
Question Spartite

On our 'new' boat, the PO had a new rig installed. Problem is that whoever did the installation set the mast with a forward rake, then proceeded to set it in Spartite.

I need to reset the rig with the rake aft, and of course the Spartite consumes the entire collar with precision, i.e. no room to move...Now I could set the rake as a bend in the mast at the deck, but I'm not keen on loading the mast that much, as I probably have to move aft about 8-10" or more.

So, how in the world does one remove Spartite...I know its gonna be messy, I tried saws, etc. but this stuff it really tough???

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
They were suppose to use the mold release as it has to come out when you step the mast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2010
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
I would imagine that a multi master tool with the fine saw blade attachment would cut right through it with precision.
Old 05-27-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
I've trimmed it before with a razor knife, if I was trying to remove the ring, I'd try cutting it with a sharp box cutter.

I'd be triple-sure that you know better than the PO how the rig should be setup before removing the ring, as its a pain to do over...and its hard to understand how a rig could be set up so far from "correct".

Last edited by sailingfool; 05-27-2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-27-2010
Hell-bent on the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
They were suppose to use the mold release as it has to come out when you step the mast
They did, and the mast is out, problem is cutting, shaving, removing this stuff to achieve the required rake..any ideas
Old 05-27-2010
Hell-bent on the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
I've trimmed it before with a razor knife, if I was trying to remove the ring, I'd try cutting it with a sharp box cutter.

I'd be triple-sure that you know better than the PO how the rig should be setup before removing the ring, as its a pain to do over...and its hard to understand how a rig could be set up so far from "correct".
SF,
Oh I think I know how they managed to do it...it was done in the Islands! By a 'Professional' yard. I have tried sawzall, hacksaw, knife....1/2 hr yielded basically little results...haven't tried a chisel yet, should sharpen a few and give it a whack.

Steve
Old 05-27-2010

sailor50 is on a distinguished road
The release agent is Vaseline and it is applied to the partners for any future mast removal. Have you called Spartite to see what they recommend?
Old 05-27-2010

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
A sawzall or a hot knife. You wouldn't trim it and rebuild it, you'd slice right down to the mast, pull it off, and start fresh. A coarse belt sander might also do it, if it didn't load up too badly.
Old 06-02-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Use a sawzall with a metal cutting blade. A "Finetool (sp?)" (or one of the dozens of knock offs) would probably do it as well. A VERY handy tool to have BTW, cuts most materials, sands, etc. with precision.

Edit: The more I think about this, the Finetool probably isn't the tool for the job. However, I would be amazed if the Sawzall with a good, fine tooth, "thick" metal cutting blade wouldn't cut it. I'm a Carpenter, and I've cut everything from thick fiberglass and re-bar to 1/4 inch steel with this set up. One trick with a Sawzall is to keep the base of the tool against the material when possible. This stabilizes the tool and generally makes it much more effective. It's what the base is designed for, but many people don't use it. For some reason, it's not intuitive. Often, we flip the blade upside down to obtain better access. An example might be as you get closer to the mast (it gets the handle out of the way). It might take a couple of blades, but I bet you'll get through the Spartite. If not, contact Spartite via their Website, and ask them. I found their customer service pretty good. Let us know what they say!

Last edited by L124C; 06-03-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 06-02-2010

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by reignmaker View Post

Oh I think I know how they managed to do it...it was done in the Islands! By a 'Professional' yard.
Steve
Yikes!!!, Makes some of the Marine "professionals" I've dealt with sound, well.....professional! How did the boat sail? I assume no Weather Helm, to be sure!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.