SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How long a rode?

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
How long should a chain rode be? I am thinking 300''. Should handle most average depths but I will go offshore later and want to make sure it is sufficient.

#4 ·
300'' of chain should handle most situations. I assume that you would have at least one other anchor and rode and you always could shackle the two rodes together if the situation demanded it (although I am having trouble picturing what that situation might be. I don''t know what kind of boat you have, but it is far too easy to overload small to medium size cruising boats and chain is a good way to start.

#8 ·
Yea Jeff, and get that fat puppy down into the bilge.Measure it out and put a tie-wrap or a rope tie and a painted link every 10-25 feet, you pick. Have shackles at every hundred, and by ALL means take as much rope lead as you have chain, as well as a series of anchors. A Bruce, a pair of monster danforths or CQR''s to be mounted permanently on deck. Get yourself a Chapmans...go to West or Amazon. Get a manually optional winch, and remember that what goes down must come up!!........do you have any idea what 300'' 3/8 will weigh?? You WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RAISE IT BY HAND!!! you will not want to use it to moor in the lee for a quickie.....

#9 ·
In severe hurricanes, a guy can lay out by skiff, a wedge of anchors, so you''ll want to be able to seperate a hundred feet to attach your rope rode to so that you could load it and the anchor into your skiff during 120 knot headwinds and 20'' breaking seas inside the breakwater, to help out your original anchor; during a lightening storm at 3 am......is that what you''re thinking? Can your skiff handle it? can you handle it? THAT is what you''re alluding to here.....Rev.....

#10 ·
1st there is no perfect length of chain, what type of sailing are you going to do. where are you sailing. What type of bottom are you anchoring to? 300 feet of chain is a lot however you did not specify what size chain your going to carry. I carried 200'' of chain in 50'' lengths durning a circumnavigation and after acsssing the area and anchorage I made the decision on how to rig up the ground tackle. Most of the time I used just 50'' of chaing with 150'' of line rode. If it was possible I ALWAYS dove on the anchor to make sure it was set and there were not any obstructions. Anchor tackle is the cheapest insurance that you can have. Also if you want the boat to sail decently you need to be able to store the chain where it enhances the boats performance. This might seem like a minor point but on a long ocean passage weight distrubition really affects speed, boat handling and loading on the rig. there are a number of books that deal with just anchoring check the book store and good luck.

#11 ·
I''m just adding to the previous lot........having survived Floyd in Abaco in 150mph plus with a 5'' tide surge and 5'' white caps only 50% of 15 boats came through. Mine survived on 3 anchors all with 50'' of 3/4 chain on 200'' of rode. The best anchor has always been the Delta quickset (one size over the boat recom''). I have no windlass and carry 5 different in all - the Danforths nearly always drag unless 10:1 is payed out. The CQR (plough) is a ***** to raise at 45lb + the chain in deep water. I was out for 22 months and seemed to be able to handle most bottoms. Expansion by request.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.