Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
The dehumidifier has been in for a few weeks, and continues to remove about a quart of water per week. I have removed all the Damp-Rid stuff - glad not to have the corrosive liquid leaking out from the countertop canister, and the awful perfume smell from their closet hangers.

Someone asked for some pictures, and I finally got a couple. The first shows what the front of the unit looks like. But since the water reservoir and on-off switch are both on the back, I velcro-ed the thing, facing backwards, to the forward fiddle of my galley storage shelf (see second pic):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the update! Did you say it can run on 12VDC? In a post you said the display model had a 12VDC wall cube but your pic seems to have a 110VAC cord.

Either way, I think I need one of these!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-26-2010

The cord in the pic looks like a 120v cord, but it's actually carrying 12v from the power brick. If you wanted 12v operation, I suspect that you could easily tap into that cord with a 3-way switch (A-B-off) to provide a selectable power source. That would be much more efficient than using an inverter to go 12 VDC → 120VAC → 12 VDC.

I have no interest in 12v operation at this time. Either I'm at the dock with shore power, or I'm sailing with the companionway open. If you're at a mooring ball I can see how you might run this off a solar cell, although the power brick is rated at 60w IIRC, so you'll need a hefty cell.

Be aware that the internal fan is a little noisy, and the thing puts out some heat, so operating while you are in the cabin for an overnight might not be preferable. I just use it for while I'm away during the week.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 06-26-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
No I would wire it directly from my 12VDC circuit panel. I have only one spare circuit from my 120VAC panel, but several spares from my 12VDC panel. I would just run it when the battery charger is powered up from shore power.

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2010

nightowle is on a distinguished road
I have a similar unit (the Eva Dry) as mentioned above. It's been working fine for the past several months and the container can fill in several days here in the PNW. It's very, very quiet, so I guess better than the Home Despot brand above. I'm going to rig up a tube at the top of the container so it will just pump the moisture into my sink drain and also use a timer so it won't be running 24/7.
Seattle, WA

“Navigare necesse est, vivere non est necesse” To Sail is vital, to live is not.
Old 06-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
RD—

Just curious, why don't you leave it running in the sink... it looks like if you removed the tank, it would just dump water directly into the sink. Or if that makes you nervous....rig a hose to the output pipe that appears to be inside the tank, and then leave it sitting on the counter with the hose in the sink.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-27-2010

Survivor is on a distinguished road
Would it be possible to put it over or in a larger bucket that could be drained out of the boat. That would be perfect for those of us that don't get down to the boat every weekend during the winter?

Harris
Columbia River
Port of Kalama Marina
Kalama, Wa
Old 06-27-2010

The dehumidifier has both a sensor to ensure that the tank is in place, as well as a float switch to turn it off when the tank fills up. So the best way to drain directly into the sink would be to install a tiny "through-hull fitting" in the back of the tank and attach a tube to run to the sink (or just put it in the sink).

I had been planning to do this, but it is way down on my very long list of more important safety improvements. Plus, lately I've been there to empty it out at least a couple times a week.

My basement dehumidifier is rigged to empty into a sump so I don't have to empty the tank. Unfortunately I have had two of them fail in the last 5 years, and they ran for [weeks? months? years?] before I noticed. (I discovered the most recent failure when I stuck it in my boat and got no condensation in the pan for a couple weeks.) So I try to run everything off the tank for at least a couple muggy weeks out of the year so I can gauge the rate of moisture removal.

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-27-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2010

robinlyn3 is on a distinguished road
RhythmDoctor

I have been running a small dehumidifier much like yours in my 26 foot sailboat here in Melbourne, Florida for the past two months. The temps and humidity here have been terrible for the past month or so. I drilled a hole about 1/3 up from the bottom in the plastic reservoir and put it in the sink. I figure I can put a cork in it if I need to. Anyway, it is running like a champ! I closed off the nicro vent and the bilge has been dry for a while now. I think this was one of my "way better" ideas. Good luck with your unit.
Old 06-27-2010

I have been wanting to put in a nicro vent for awhile, and this was my stop-gap measure while I figure it out. I have a good place to put one vent, but you need both in and out vents to make it work right. I do not have a really good place to put a second vent - unless I remove a redundant bulkhead compass (shown in the upper left of my profile pic) and replace it with a cowl vent. But this stopgap measure may be better anyway. My bilge has always been bone dry, but I have an outboard, so no packing gland to worry about.