Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
So for a boat that has the Nicro vents already, is this a bad idea, since we're just dehumidifying the moist air from outside?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarcher View Post
So for a boat that has the Nicro vents already, is this a bad idea, since we're just dehumidifying the moist air from outside?
I am not an expert, but I would think that this is the case. You're bringing in new air from the outside anyway (and that is a good thing), and that would probably overwhelm any dehumidification that you did.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 06-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The reason you put Nicro vents in place is to help prevent boats from becoming moisture pumps. As a boat heats up during the day, the air absorbs more moisture—since hotter air can hold more water. When the sun goes down, and as the air cools, then the additional water can condense out. By keeping the air flowing, the air doesn't tend to act as a moisture pumps, since it keeps the boat from heating up as much and moves the heated air, which holds more water vapor in it, out of the boat.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
The reason you put Nicro vents in place is to help prevent boats from becoming moisture pumps. As a boat heats up during the day, the air absorbs more moisture—since hotter air can hold more water. When the sun goes down, and as the air cools, then the additional water can condense out. By keeping the air flowing, the air doesn't tend to act as a moisture pumps, since it keeps the boat from heating up as much and moves the heated air, which holds more water vapor in it, out of the boat.
I agree for the most part. But if the boat is well-sealed, and there are no pools of water to evaporate in the heat (i.e., bone dry bilge), then there is no source of moisture for the air to absorb when it gets hot, and thus no condensation when it cools.

So there are two extremes, both better than the alternatives:
  1. Good ventilation that prevents condensation when the boat cools
  2. Seal off the boat and dehumidify the stagnant air aggressively
I agree that option 1 is preferred, but if like me you do not have a good location for a second vent (yet), then option 2 may be a viable alternative

This is a similar argument to the settee locker condensation issue in a separate thread that I started. And by the way, I checked for condensation in my settee lockers last week and they were still completely dry.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 06-08-2011

Finally, after a whole year, Home Depot has the one I purchased on their website. It says internet only, though:

Perfect Home 4-Pint Dehumidifier - EWDH4 at The Home Depot

Old 06-08-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for staying on top of that, RD. So the unit is still working for you?

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 06-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf145 View Post
Thanks for staying on top of that, RD. So the unit is still working for you?
Still works great for my boat, which is pretty water tight and only 25'. A larger boat may need more than one of these.

Old 11-02-2011
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
RD,
I'm torn between dehumidification and the Nicro vents. The dehumidification seems a good way to solve the problem of moisture in the cabin. However, unless I rig the dehumidifier to empty into the sink or another container (which then re-introduces the water into the air), it sounds like I'll have to make a weekly trip out to the boat to empty the tank. Knowing my personal schedule, I don't think that's likely. So, I'm stuck having it empty into a bucket (again, with the potential evaporation issues that brings with it) or empty into the drain. Not exactly a deal breaker, but it seems somewhat counterproductive. I'm OK with the shore-power only issue; I'll mostly be doing day sailing and occasional overnights, and most of the overnights will be at the dock, so that's not a big deal. The dehumidification should also make the air in the cabin feel cooler, which is good for the shore in the summer.

By contrast, the Nicro is solar powered and runs (essentially) constantly. I don't know that you need a second Nicro (on my C25, the companionway cover has vents, and the pop-top and hatch have areas where the air can easily enter), though I can certainly see where having a second one would make things even more efficient. The Nicro helps encourage air flow through the cabin, thus allowing the humidity levels inside and outside the cabin to remain relatively equal, which in turn reduces the condensation within the boat. There's nothing to empty, and I don't have to worry about float switches that don't trigger (not that a pint of water is really going to be a killer). The Nicro will also help move dryer air into the cabin, thus allowing for more effective evaporation of any water that may be in the bilge. Of course, unlike the dehumidifier, the Nicro won't make the air feel cooler (it doesn't move enough air to be a true "fan"), and it only ever dries out the cabin to the point where it is in equilibrium with the outside air. One Nicro is about $160, so about 3x the cost of the dehumidifier. That makes the dehumidifier very attractive, but I'm still not completely convinced. Can you help convince me? []

Also, what do you do over the winter? Are you back to Damprid?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 11-02-2011

DampRid is what I use in the winter. Even if I had a Nicro vent, I'd need to do DampRid in the off season because my boat cover would block the sun.

For the dehumidifier, you can just drill a hole in the back of the pan and put it in your galley sink. Then you don't need to check it weekly. If you want to be a little fancier, glue a small hose barb into the pan and attach a Tygon hose into the drain - then your sink won't even get wet. I have not done this because so far I've gone to the boat frequently and wanted the water available to top off the battery if it needed it. But I will probably drill the hole next season.

I actually ordered a Nicro vent from WM but the order never come in due to a recall due to defect. I read around a little and learned that their batteries wear out pretty frequently. Then I remembered that when shopping for boats, the ones that had Nicro vents were never operating. I came across this Peltier-type dehumidifier by chance and decided to try it instead, and I've been happy with it ever since.

You are correct, I would not need a second Nicro vent. Since I posted that, I've realized that my boat has enough "little leaks" that there would be enough fugitive exhaust if I had one Nicro vent blowing in.

Old 11-02-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough

As i am on a mooring electric is not gonna happen

dorade boxes and hatch boards with water proff vents move a lot of air

My Nicro spins a LOT but moves nothing compared to the dorade boxes

The Cal 29 has a deep section in the bilge and it allows the boat to have a tiny amount of standing water to make smells

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat