Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
As for the Nicro, I have one in my boat that has been running constantly for the last 14 months. No problem with batteries here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Tiny Dehumidifiers

After 3 years of reliable operation, my tiny dehumidifier stopped dehumidifying. Although the fan worked, no humidity was coming out of the air. I felt the cooling fins and they weren't cool. I felt the external power brick, and although it was powering the unit, it was barely warm - a sure sign that the Peltier device was not drawing any juice.

During the storm last night, my thermometer/humidity sensor went as high as 80% RH, which it had never done before when the dehumidifier was working properly.

I brought it home and put it on the Kill-a-Watt meter and it was only drawing 5 Watts (vs. the typical 60-70 watt draw). I opened up the box and tested the voltages at various contact points. The power supply was providing 12v to the Peltier wafer, but clearly it has stopped accepting current.

This exact model is no longer available, but I ordered a very similar replacement, since I've been happy with this method for controlling humidity in the slip. I had rigged a flexible tube to dump the humidity down the drain, and I'll do the same for the new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 04-20-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

3 years is pretty good for one of those... ours only lasted a season, and a second no longer. Now we're using a Danby/Sears larger unit that's really working well.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 04-22-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Mine's been running 24/7 for a year now. I bought one of the big ones for a package I put together for dealing with water damaged boats. I used it on my boat for a while, but ultimately went back to the small one, it draws just enough moisture off to keep me happy. Mine is an Eva-dry(smallest they make)
Big dehumidifier is noisy, heavy, bulky and always in the way so it rarely makes it onto my boat.
Old 04-22-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

60 to 70 watts!! I wonder if day/night solar vent in conjunction with just heating the interior a bit (thus lowering the relative humidity) with a 60W bulb (or small boat heater) would be as effective. You net power use would be the same and it would be a whole lot simpler.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 04-25-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
60 to 70 watts!! I wonder if day/night solar vent in conjunction with just heating the interior a bit (thus lowering the relative humidity) with a 60W bulb (or small boat heater) would be as effective. You net power use would be the same and it would be a whole lot simpler.
Many marinas ban the use of unattended heaters. I know mine does. Plus, heat could make mildew worse (unless it burns your boat down first ).

Installing a device that condenses the water and dumps it in your galley sink is about a simple as it gest. I'm not sure that your suggestion of evaporating water into the air is any simpler or more effective.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 04-25-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Many marinas ban the use of unattended heaters. I know mine does. Plus, heat could make mildew worse (unless it burns your boat down first ).

Installing a device that condenses the water and dumps it in your galley sink is about a simple as it gest. I'm not sure that your suggestion of evaporating water into the air is any simpler or more effective.
I'm with Take Five on this, and have done quite a bit of testing.

* Heater (light bulb only lowers the humidity in the immediate area, and only if the amount of ventilation is just right (too much and the heat goes away). For this to be effective it would have to be enough to warm the boat 5-10F to allow for distribution problems. 60w is not enough for most boats. I used bulbs in the past and effectiveness was mixed (good near the bulb, not far away, 27-foot boat).
* Any water evaporated can easily re-condense in a cooler portion of the boat (under a mattress or in a locker against the hull, for example). This is the bane of boats that are heated and occupied.
* The power consumption is the same.
* RH will be lowered about 5 times further by a dehumidifier than a bulb. Tested it.

Is this overkill? Everything depends on the climate, size of the boat, leakage and usage. My boat is a little larger, sees some winter use, and is in a damp place. I do know that a dehumidifier will keep the bedding fresh through the winter, and ventilation, well, not so much.

There with be a PS article out on this soon.

Sail Delmarva: Dehumidifier vs Desicant

CaCl2 is a total waste of time unless the boat can be PERFECTLY sealed, or unless many large containers are used. They remove pathetically little in low temperatures.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-25-2013
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
I'm with Take Five on this, and have done quite a bit of testing.

* Heater (light bulb only lowers the humidity in the immediate area, and only if the amount of ventilation is just right (too much and the heat goes away). For this to be effective it would have to be enough to warm the boat 5-10F to allow for distribution problems. 60w is not enough for most boats. I used bulbs in the past and effectiveness was mixed (good near the bulb, not far away, 27-foot boat).
* Any water evaporated can easily re-condense in a cooler portion of the boat (under a mattress or in a locker against the hull, for example). This is the bane of boats that are heated and occupied.
* The power consumption is the same.
* RH will be lowered about 5 times further by a dehumidifier than a bulb. Tested it.

Is this overkill? Everything depends on the climate, size of the boat, leakage and usage. My boat is a little larger, sees some winter use, and is in a damp place. I do know that a dehumidifier will keep the bedding fresh through the winter, and ventilation, well, not so much.

There with be a PS article out on this soon.

Sail Delmarva: Dehumidifier vs Desicant

CaCl2 is a total waste of time unless the boat can be PERFECTLY sealed, or unless many large containers are used. They remove pathetically little in low temperatures.
Thanks for the data.

Appreciate it.
Old 04-25-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

PDQ - I read your blog post and found it very informative. I'd be curious as to which is more effective, using a dehumidifier or using solar fans. I also wonder whether the set-up of the dehumidifier drain makes a difference. In Take5's case, the drain is to the sink, which is VERY important, because I believe that drains directly outside the boat. By contrast, I've read comments from people who drain into the bilge, with the expectation that the bilge pump will carry it out. But, if the dehumidifier drops the RH enough, doesn't the air become "dry" and won't the water in the bilge simply evaporate back into the boat's air? Essentially you're creating a closed loop.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 04-26-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

jimgo, that is what I've thought as well. I don't have fans and want to use a mini dehumidifier on my boat to help dry things out as mildew is always a problem. I have a very wet boat, I think I'll need to drain into the cockpit.