Using epoxy in old screw holes? - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-31-2010 Thread Starter

Using epoxy in old screw holes?

I will be reinstalling several items that were screwed or lagged into the deck and cabin-top (hatches, ports, deck prisms). I would like to have maximum screw holding when reinstalling the new screw and would like to know the best method to achieve this? The other day I reinstalled a deck prism that I over drilled the old screw holes (next drill bit larger than the existing screw hole), filled with cabosil thickened epoxy, then drilled a pilot hole once the epoxy cured. 5/6 of the screw achieved a real nice bite, but one stripped out before the frame was properly bedded down to the deck. Is this the best method, or is there a better way?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-31-2010

Best bite is through bolting.. The best way to ensure a good thread interface is to pot the hole with the screw in it. Treat the screw with cooking spray or wax first though so it will come back out after cure...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #3 of 4 Old 05-31-2010 Thread Starter

I like the wax/cooking spray suggestion. Would thickening the epoxy with colloidal silica or milled fibers make a stronger hold? Someone on another forum suggested enlarging the old screw hole, fill with epoxy, then tap it after cured, then use a machine screw. This sounds like a good method, no?
post #4 of 4 Old 05-31-2010

G/flex

West System has an epoxy product called G/flex - flex meaning elastic - so you don't have to coat screws and insert them while the epoxy is curing. I filled some old screw holes in my teak handrails, let cure 24 hours, drilled pilot holes and achieved great holding strength.

http://www.epoxyworks.com/26/pdf/Fas..._toughness.pdf

Good luck!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.