Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-01-2010

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
5 minute epoxy is clear and is perfect for this application. i use it quite often in my work.

I learned the technique from Sam Maloof several years ago before he passed away. It is a variation on the time honored technique of mixing varnish with sawdust. In his opinion, 5 minute epoxy was fast and the filler stayed put.

For those unfamiliar with Sam's work, he is considered one of the 20th century's foremost furniture designers with pieces in the White House and every major museum's collection. It was an honor to pick up this tip from the master.
Old 06-02-2010

oomfh is on a distinguished road
If I was going to coat my teak with varnish I'd be inclined (naturally) to mix the sawdust with varnish. I'm going to try Semco Teak Sealer this year as the instructions say you only need to wash with soap & water each spring to prep for the next coat.

My goal is more about durability than anything else. No disrespect to anyone elses opinions, thoughts or suggestions (I value them all) - but color isn't (within reason) an issue here only because it's such a small repair . . . I'm most probably the only one who will ever see it.

Really like the making your own custom size plugs/bungs idea! I recently purchased a box of 100 1/2" teak bungs . . . I'm going to try rolling one back-and-forth under my Porter-Cable Speed Bloc sander.

It's always an honor to learn from the masters. Similar to sailing - boat maintenance (if you're paying attention ) can also be a life long learning experience!

Last edited by oomfh; 06-02-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.