Join Date: Jun 2010
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Vigil Radar parts available
After 23 years we are saying goodbye to our old friend, a Vigil Rx, 32 mile radar. With luck the parts may help someone else. Here's what we have, and the condition:
- Brain unit. Perfect condition.
- Infra-red remote. Very good condition, works perfectly.
- Display. Works OK, but we've had to replace some potentiometers. The brightness works only at one level, not the 4 as original. The knobs at the back of the display still work (with the new pots) and can be adjusted for brightness if you like. We don't bother, we get by just fine with one level of brightness. General condition and appearance is very good.
- Scanner. Probably has a broken magnetron. A couple of parts which probably failed at the same time have been replaced, but we couldn't justify looking for a new magnetron (assuming that's the problem). The general condition and appearance is good. Wave-guide and internal circuit boards are in very good condition except as just mentioned. Motor runs well, appears good and clean, but the drive-belt is worn.
- Cables. The cables are great, EXCEPT the connector to the scanner. The scanner cable is 15 metres long, but both the male and female at the scanner showed some corrosion and a possible cable break. In order to test it the cable was cut at the scanner and temporary joins to the scanner wiring were made directly. Our hope was that this would solve the problem, but no luck. The temporary work was tidily done, and a record kept of what wires go where.
So there you are. If anyone needs these parts, we can ship them. We're now in Malaysia, and experience has shown that post from here is safe, reliable and cheap. We can package the parts properly.
Cost - Out of pocket expenses for parcel post etc, and $100 US.
Last edited by kantala; 06-01-2010 at 05:44 AM.