Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-02-2010

cvsheppard is on a distinguished road
Advice from Boatyard on Mounting Radar

I went by a respected boatyard to check on having them mount my new radome on the mast. The short and long of the conversation is that it would be cheaper to drop the mast and mount the radome than to hoist someone up the mast and mount it. They feel it would be easier and quicker time wise, thus cheaper. I'm having a hard time grasping that concept. Has anyone else been down this path and comment on out come.

s/v Credence II
PSC 34 #159
Portland, Or
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-02-2010
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
there is a lot of work installing a radar on the mast. i have done several with the mast horizontal on supports and would not want to do it with the mast up. it would probably a lot more labor cost. i believe a better job could be done with the mast out.
Old 06-02-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Fishing the cable down the mast while it's still up, is one challenge.
Do you have internal halyards, Wind, radio...etc...you'd want to make sure the radar cable is secured and will not interfere with any of your other internal halyards or cables.
Old 06-02-2010
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Just had radar installed on the mast and they went up vs unstepping it. They rigged a retrieval line to the steaming light wiring and ran the radar cable with it. I believe he used the steaming light wire to pull the retrieval line up then ran it back down along with the radar cable via the line.
Old 06-02-2010

r.furborough is on a distinguished road
Have installed a number of radar antennas with the mast up, it can be time consuming but usually works out more cost effectively than unstepping the mast etc. It can be a crap shoot though from a labor point of view, some masts can be very difficulty to pull a cable through and it has been known to take a day just to do the mast work. This is in an area thatboat remain in the water year round.

If in the north where boats are stored for the winter, then it makes sense to do this work at that time while the mast is down.
Old 06-02-2010

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
I had a mount installed and the radome installed on it along with the required wiring all with the mast up. Cliff Moore of Moore Marine in New Haven did the job for less than the typical round-trip unstep/step cost of my 48' rig. (about $400) It took him about 2 hours to do the job and 8 years later it has been trouble-free and looks great.

I suggest shopping the job around a bit, but the season may cause you some delay if you want wait for your price.

Good luck.
Old 06-03-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Buy a radar pole as I did with removable engine hoist from Garhauer. Cab nount all other antennas on it ( GPS, TV) as well. I also can tilt down if I ever have to do maintainence work on it vrs pulling the mast, and the cable run is shorter to the chartplotter on the helm,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 06-03-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Having installed a number of mast mount domes I 100% agree with your yard. If you have a conduit, and you actually want the radome wires in it, not slapping the insides of the spar at anchor, then the only way to achieve this is to drop the mast. I have seen yards wrap a halyard internally only to have the owner hoist the sail and rip the dome wire apart. I have seen holes ob-longed and mast tappings destroyed and need to be over drilled due to a boat wake and I have seen crooked dome mounts all from attempting this in a bosuns chair. Also unless the yard specifically and physically KNOWS and remembers exactly what the inside of your spar looks like, where the wires run etc. you run a rather realistic risk of them drilling right thorough your internal conduit and mast wiring, wind, anchor, tri-color etc..

So what happens when they drill the rather large hole, in your rather expensive mast, for the radome wire, and find out they hit the edge of the conduit and can't fit the wire? You now have a useless hole that they will now try to over bore and make a huge mess...

These are all REAL scenarios I have known of or seen happen when an owner tries to take the easier route. Sometimes perceived "easy" is not what it appears.

Can it be done with the spar up? Yes, but it is not a method I would employ.

If you have not dropped it in a while look at it as an opportunity to inspect everything while it is down.

If you had said; "My yard said it is okay to install my dome with the mast up, and it will save me money" I would be hinting at you to find a new yard..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 06-03-2010 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2010

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Just wait 'till the yard discovers that your mast has no conduit and is filled with foam...
Howard Keiper
Berkeley
Old 06-03-2010

cvsheppard is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone for your points of view. After thought and review of your comments I will have the mast dropped and radar maounted in that fashion. For those that asked, I do have an internal conduit for wires but no internal halyards and I have 2 retrieval lines already in place, one to the top of the mast and the other midway up where the old radome was mounted. I thought this would be a quick and easy install, but I can see different now. Thanks again for all the input.

s/v Credence II
PSC 34 #159
Portland, Or

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.