SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   jb weld (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/65253-jb-weld.html)

QuickMick 06-03-2010 11:37 AM

jb weld

After replacing the plate/gasket on my copper heat exchange unit i found there is still a leak on the copper by one of the fittings. Before i remove the thing again and attempt to braze it, i was considering attempting a fix on the seam using JB weld. anyone have experience with this? any luck?

thanks

scottyt 06-03-2010 12:03 PM

do it right, it wont take long, you might even be able to do on the motor if you can get to it

mitchbrown 06-03-2010 12:14 PM

Hi Quick

I have fixed many things with JB weld over the years, Radiators , artwork, statues, block leaks, and I don't really remember it failing ever.

Mitch

SeaFever2000 06-03-2010 12:44 PM

I would go with Scotty's suggestion. Do it right. Take it out and get it cleaned and welded. There is metal (smoother non porous surface), heat and pressure. The JB Weld may not hold well.

Jurgy 06-03-2010 12:47 PM

After repairing the top tank of a radiator with JB Weld several times - I gave up and did the repair correctly with solder. Could have been "operator error", but for me, JB Weld is a temporary fix.

Sorry
Jurgy

BarryL 06-03-2010 01:27 PM

Hey,

IMHO JB Weld and the like are great for gluing things together and for repairing things that are broken. But they are poor at repairing things like holes and leaks that are under pressure.

For example, last year, right before a weekly cruise, I noticed that my water injection elbow on the engine exhaust was leaking. I could not get it properly repaired before my departure date. So it was either cancel the trip or effect a temporary repair. I first tried using epoxy / JB Weld to patch the leaks. That worked for 5 minutes until the pressure caused the JB Weld to get blown off the pipe. My second repair used a curved piece of metal and some hose clamps and a lot of JB weld. That repair lasted throughout my trip and allowed me to properly repaired when I returned.

In short, if you can support the JB weld with a clamp or something, it may work, if not, it wont.

Personally, I would remove the HX and take it to a radiator shop.

Barry

scottyt 06-03-2010 02:07 PM

if you can see the problem go find your local hvac guy, he has a torch and the silver to fix it on the boat. you would just need to drain the HX. even home depot sells brazing rod that will fix it, but the torch needs more heat than a propane or mapp will put out. you might get away with the oxy mapp setup that HD sells

hellosailor 06-03-2010 06:30 PM

There's a lot to be said for doing it right, but IF applied to a scrupulously cleaned surface, JBWeld can be the right solution for a long time, like 20+ years.

Heck, they seal pinholes in the cooling tubes on reactor systems with LOCTITE products, and that's considered "doing it right", so what's wrong with JBWeld? Assuming the surface you're applying it to is really clean, and it is mixed really well. And if it doesn't work...then you can take out the whole thing, hit it with a torch, and the JBWeld will come away anyhow.

MARC2012 06-04-2010 02:21 AM

Jb weld,wd40,duct tape,won't leave home w/o them.marc

WanderingStar 06-04-2010 08:26 AM

What about rescue tape?