Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-03-2010
Two many boats!

degreeoff is on a distinguished road
Spinnaker halyard ?

Hi ya'll I am very close too bringing the 30 cat TR to Pasadena and am curious about the rigging of my spin halyard. I have a heafty block to put up top AND two jib halyards that are internal. Is it advisable to run one of them out and through the spin block or keep it on the internal? I am running a new harken cruising furler MK I???

it looks as though I will be just shy of a straight shot to the block with a 5 deg deflect to get it OVER the forstay pin. Also will the block interfere with the roller furler?

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....

Last edited by degreeoff; 06-03-2010 at 06:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-03-2010

tommays will become famous soon enough
On the boats i sail with internal halyards the spins exit above the head stay and the jib below

On my Cal with external the spin block is mounted on a masthead crane to keep it above and away from the Furler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 06-03-2010

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Mastheads come in all kinds of configurations and setups. Maybe you could take a digital picture or two and post them.

You definitely don't want to use an internal genoa or jib halyard as a spinnaker halyard even if you run it up through a spinnaker block. If that was what you were suggesting.
It would probably chafe through the very first time you used it.
Not good.
Just run the spinnaker halyard external. Keep it fouled behind the spreaders when you aren't using it and it should be well out of the way of the furler.

The best setups are when there are two spinnaker cranes set on angles on either side of the masthead. If it's internal, the exit (entrance) plate is about three feet down the mast.
Old 06-03-2010
Two many boats!

well I would love to show some pictures....but I'll be damned if I can get one to load! Am I doing something wrong?

Now If I could only stay away from working on the damn things I could sail more!

Current boat...
-1985 c-30 TR DONE!! after two new engines and too much labor she floats sails and steams....
Old 06-03-2010

tap is on a distinguished road
Can't seem to attach pictures either, but what you can do is put them online at a free photo hosting site, like flicker (uses a yahoo account) or picasaweb.google.com (uses a gmail account). Then you can put a link to the picture in a post here.
Old 06-03-2010
Two many boats!

anyone know whos an admin? I promise no nude pics!! (at least not of me!!!....;-)

Current boat...
Old 06-05-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
I think

I saw a Smackdaddy post saying that pics were not working. For your spin halyard, it really does need to be above the forestay. Otherwise you can do exciting things to your spinnaker and/or forestay fittings at the hounds when you gybe. We rigged a Harken block on a swivel for the spinnaker halyard on our Soling and ran the line through it down to both sides of the mast, outside, so that we'd be able to set to port or starboard without having to throw the (internal halyard) end around the forestay. Attaching the block to the mast may be the hardest part for you. Is there a tang or exit hole where you would need it? Bolts or screws may pull out or shear - make sure they're hefty enough. Shackling the block in place is the best, if you can something good to attach it to.
Old 06-05-2010
Two many boats!

I am going to look at a "hoop" to put up top today, I have discovered that I will need to keep the halyard outside the mast am fine with that. I just wanted as clean a look and feel as possible but it is a 25 year old boat and was not designed with all the goodies that a newer boat has!

Josh

Current boat...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.