oops - my depth transducer got painted with two coats of bottom paint - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-05-2010

billsull is on a distinguished road
oops - my depth transducer got painted with two coats of bottom paint

I hired a kid to paint my bottom and shame on me for not supervising carefully, but my depth sounder got painted with two coats of WM Bottomshield (their hard paint). It's a nylon thru-hull transducer connected to a Raymarine ST60 Tridata.

I've always heard that one shouldn't paint transducers, but I don't know what the real consequences are. Also, what is the best way to remove it? scrape or is their some kind of solvent that won't hurt the 'ducer?
Bristol 24
Old Saybrook, CT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-05-2010

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
try using a scrub sponge (rough one side and soft on the other-commonly found in the kitchen) and a water and acetone solution at 1:1. gently/lightly wash and scrub the area.

You might get some false readings if you leave the bottom paint on. Anything listed in the manufacture spec. about caring for the nylon transducer?
Old 06-05-2010

Tanley is on a distinguished road
The yard painted ours as well (they don't allow owners to paint their own hulls). Transducer still works fine, no problems.
Old 06-05-2010

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I just put in a new ST60 depth instrument and Raymarine wants you to paint it. It seemed weird to me so I didn't, but I don't think it will effect your readings.
Old 06-05-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Should be no problem - transducers can be mounted to shoot through the hull skin in certain applications, so a few mils of paint won't matter.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 06-05-2010

Gary M is on a distinguished road
You are better off with a mil of bottom paint than you would be with several barnacles etc.
Old 06-05-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
The concern really isn't the thickness of the coating but the composition of the coating. Clean it off with a paper towel soaked in laquer thinner. 30 seconds and done. In fact you likely won't have to (and shouldn't) scrub very hard, as the paint should still be soft. After all, it wasn't painted very long ago, right? For best results you should be hull wet less than 72 hrs after bottom painting.
Old 06-06-2010

jarcher is on a distinguished road
You should probably remove that pait as others have said. For those who want anti-fouling paint for a transducer, you can buy water based paint for just that purpose. The manual for mine recomended that a water based anti-fouling paint be used on it.

Old 06-07-2010

JeffBurright is on a distinguished road
My understanding is that the copper in most bottom paints can lead to a significant amount of signal interference. I had the same issue a couple years ago and opted to dive under the boat with a purple 3M scrub pad. Just be gentle, because apparently you can damage the diaphragm if you scrub too hard.

-- Just another 2 cents of nautical hearsay.
Old 06-07-2010

eolon is on a distinguished road
Most modern transducers suggest 1 or two coats of bottom paint to prevent fouling. Even the biggest particles of copper in bottom paint are between 20 and 40 um (microns) in size. Your ultrasonic frequency is either 50 kHz or 200 kHz, or sometimes both (for depth sounders that work at depths >400 ft.)

Because these frequencies translate to wavelengths of 68.6 mm and 171.5 mm, respectively, and because both wavelengths are much larger than the copper particles (which are between 0.020mm and 0.040 mm), even the copper-laden bottom paint is perfectly transparent to your transducer.

This is the same reason that light can pass through glass (different frequency, though).

Anyhow, don't yell at the kid, he was doing the right thing, whether he knew it or not

Best Regards,

e

.::.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.