SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   EPOXY BARRIER COAT DILEMMA, help ..... (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/65345-epoxy-barrier-coat-dilemma-help.html)

Freesail99 06-06-2010 03:28 PM

EPOXY BARRIER COAT DILEMMA, help .....

I have a dilemma as some of you may know, my health hasn't been good. With cancer followed by heart attacks, bypass surgery, 14 stints and a stroke, I seem to be down more often then I am up. Two years ago I was barrier coating my boat with epoxy resin. It was a big job just removing 30 years of bottom paint. My problem is the boat has sat with a few coats of epoxy resin on it's bottom without the protection of paint.

Mas epoxy which is the brand of epoxy I used told be to use a belt sander and scuff up the epoxy, wash it down and apply 2 or 3 more coats of epoxy, paint it and call it done.

Progressive epoxy who has emailed me with answers to my questions has said: "You have sun - UV damaged epoxy on the hull, refresh
with a thin quick coat of solvent thinned epoxy (you can use almost any epoxy) for a fresh surface, then paint or bottom paint over the epoxy."

These are two very different ways to handle the same problem. Having worked with epoxy resin I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept that epoxy paint is as good or better then epoxy resin as Progressive epoxy seems to push on their web site and emails. So I have to get this done, I get tired very easy due to my heart and live daily with chest pains. I want my boat in the water. What would you guys do? I don't have extra money right now to hire someone else to do this either, any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

scottyt 06-06-2010 04:13 PM

i say give it a sanding with a palm sander ( weight reasons ) give it a slightly thinned coat ( easy to spread and wont use as much ) then bottom paint as normal

PCP 06-07-2010 02:35 AM

You can do it both ways.
I would choose the second one. A lot less work, unless you are a perfectionist. The epoxy coat is rather thin, so it should not be a problem.

Stillraining 06-07-2010 03:25 AM

Free...Been folowing your health the past couple years and I feel for ya...

Is there no one you have befriended to help with this?...If I was closer Id give you a hand...You deserve your boat back in the water for some much needed peace of mind enjoyment of it.

roline 06-07-2010 05:24 AM

I'm a firm believer of the Interlux InterProtect 2000E/2001E Epoxy Primer as the last barrier coat underneath the bottom paint, except not for vinyl VC paints. A quick scuff of the existing epoxy for mechanical adhesion.

bljones 06-07-2010 07:14 AM

ditto on roline's advice. I wouldn't be too worried about massive UV degradation- scuff the existing coat, roll on Interprotect, bottom paint, splash.