SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Head installation

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  dargiem 
#1 ·
I am replacing the porta potti on my boat with a real head. While thinking about installing the seacock/through hull for the head intake, the idea occured to me that it would be possible to T off the existing sink drain, and if I stoppedd the sink drain, I would still be able to create the suction needed to fill the head and thus avoid putting another hole in the hull. Actually I have decided not to do this, but it has me thinking and I wonder if the idea has been tried.

#2 ·
My S. African built boat has just that. It works, but there is also a valve on the sink drain ahead of the seacock because the suction needed for my Lavac head is too much for a sink plug. Basically, the sink is not useable without turning the valve each time. We don''t use the sink, but if we did, it would be a hassle. On the other hand, there is one less hole in the boat.

I suspect that with a large check valve on the sink, the head and sink could be used together.

#3 ·
Tempting to do because it would be so easy to install. I could give it a try for a season, and if it is really a hassle I could add the seacock the following season. Thanks for the reply. I feel better for not being too far out there with the idea.

#5 ·
Your idea has another advantage, I have my Catalina 30'' rigged this way. You can flush the head with sea water by plugging the sink, works fine. You can also flush with fresh water from the sink by closing the seacock, I do this most of the time. Advantage, no smell from the seawater sitting in the intake hose.

Mike in Noank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.