Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010

parttimesailor is on a distinguished road
Anchor Size/Weight?

I'm new to the coast of Massachusetts, but plan to do some near-shore sailing this Summer. My question - are there any good tools to estimate what size anchor and rode I would need for a 22', 1800-lb boat?
Old 06-10-2010

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Pick a style of anchor that you like then go to their web site. They all have a selection chart. Weight of anchor is very dependant on the particular style and manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-10-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Check with folks who cruise in your area as well. They'll know what the bottom is like in your cruising grounds. Some anchors perform better than others depending on the bottom.
La Conner, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 06-10-2010

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Old rule of thumb -
One pound of anchor for every foot of boat length.
One foot of chain for every foot of boat length.

The above suggestions are a minimum.

Enough rode to anchor with at least 7:1 scope.

As previously suggested, ask local sailors what type of anchor works best in your area.
Old 06-11-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
There have been a number of good anchor reviews in the last few years, Sail Magazine West Marine being one. West Marine's website and cataloge have a lot of good information on different types of anchors. I'd be more inclined to do my own research rather than asking random individuals or looking at what is hanging off the boats in the marina, at least in addition to asking and looking. There is a lot of old technology hanging on boats that don't hardley leave the slip.
Old 06-11-2010
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Go a little bigger...

Welcome to some great cruising grounds...we sail the area and though we use a 30' boat 10,500lbs have found a Rocna 15lber and 30' of chain to be plenty..check out their sight. If you plan on overnighting its a great choice.
Old 06-11-2010

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
The largest anchor you can physically manage to deploy and recover.

Hey, why take unnecessary chances!

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-11-2010

ulferlingsson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimesailor View Post
I'm new to the coast of Massachusetts, but plan to do some near-shore sailing this Summer. My question - are there any good tools to estimate what size anchor and rode I would need for a 22', 1800-lb boat?
Regardless of where you are sailing, based on my experience from similar sized boats, and diving to inspect the anchors on various bottoms, depths, and winds, I'd advice as follows:

Use a plough style anchor (one solid piece). Do NOT use a Danforth style, they sometimes don't grip, sometimes get damaged. Use about 5 to 6 m of 6 mm short-linked galvanized chain as a minimum, but 8 mm is better (i.e., about 20 feet of 1/4" chain or 5/16" inch chain for those who insist in using old measurement units).

After that, the best is a special anchor rope that can yield under stress, but does not twist. Absolute minimum size is 10 mm (3/8") but I would recommend 12 mm (1/2"). You need to have about 50 m of that onboard (150' - 200') if you sail on open coasts, but 30 m (100') is sufficient if you are only sailing on protected waters (with short fetch thus small waves).

The anchor is not just for when you WANT to "park", it is also an "emergency park" tool, so what counts is the kind of waters you are sailing on, not where you spend the night at.

Stainless is good because it is easy to clean off the mud, if you anchor on a bottom with very dirtying sediment, and you store the anchor onboard. As for the chain and rope, I sewed myself a bag out of an old sail, with strong handles. That made it easy to carry the stuff from one part of the boat to another, without dirtying everything on the way. It also stores easier onboard, than loose chain and rope.

When I was sailing on really big waters I actually used all chain on my 20' boat. 100 m, 6 mm short-linked chain. But that's because we were anchoring on the open North Atlantic off Iceland at 35 m depth to dive...

PS. Whatever length chain you use short of the entire distance, you can find yourself on an anchorage with a rock ledge that will eat your rope off (I once recovered 5 anchors from a harbour where that had happened, they all used 5 m chain). Unless you have chain all the way, if you have an echosounder, check how rough the bottom is. Beware of rocks!

Last edited by ulferlingsson; 06-11-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Added a PS
Old 06-11-2010
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
Pick a style of anchor that you like
Based on what? Best to pick a style that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary M View Post
then go to their web site. They all have a selection chart. Weight of anchor is very dependant on the particular style and manufacturer.
Recommendations across manufacturers are never comparable (at all) so it's no good just looking at the numbers - you need to know what they're based on. While some few are realistic, most push the lower limits in an effort to appear 'better' or cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulferlingsson View Post
Use a plough style anchor (one solid piece).
Are you trying to [incorrectly] define any single-piece anchor as a 'plow', or actually suggesting a fixed shank plow (in other words a Delta - in which case why not say so)? All articulated plows (CQRs and copies) are by definition two-piece finger crunchers

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttimesailor View Post
What size anchor depends on what type anchor, as there is a very wide range of performance. Even within the selection of general purpose asymmetrical anchors, weight-for-weight holding varies greatly. Also, at your boat's size you will be tempted by a multitude of cheap junk, but if you want a serious anchor for coastal use you are best advised to avoid these and stick to what your research will turn up as a reliable and good quality safety device.

Chain and rope should be matched to the anchor, but assuming you have something sensible, 6-7 mm - 1/4" G40 / high-test is about right. You need enough of it to clear the seabed and obstacles like rocks which will abrade/chafe rope, in a mud environment then a chain leader the LOA of the boat is generally a good length. For rope, 12 mm or 14 mm nylon, 12 mm nylon 8- or square-braid would be ideal (3-strand less so), and enough of it to make up adequate scope in deepest foreseeable water. Don't forget high quality shackles, forged if not tested.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 06-11-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Deleted comercial links
Old 06-11-2010

parttimesailor is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the relies...

appreciate the constructive suggestions. I'm just getting my chart and will launch shortly - so the quick feedback is appreciated.