Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-11-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Trade my Loos PT-2 for your Loos PT-1?

I have a like-new Loos PT-2 tension gauge. My broker/friend gave it to me because his father retired from sailing and sold his Catalina 270. Unfortunately my Catalina 250 is rigged with 5/32" wire, which requires the Loos PT-1 gauge. The PT-2 is designed for 3/16"-1/4" wire, with a stiffer spring appropriate for the higher tensions that this wire can support.

I hope that there may be someone here who has upgraded to a larger boat who may have a PT-1 and be looking for a PT-2. If so, I am your man.

Please only reply if you have the Loos Professional series gauge (PT-1). I am not interested in their regular 91A tension gauge.

I can supply pics of the gauge to help you verify its pristine condition. It will help if you do the same.

For those of you who don't know whether you have the PT version, here is a stock photo from the Loos website:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-04-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
RD—

I'll swap ya... sending you a PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-16-2010

The deal with sailingdog fell through, because he has the same PT-2 that I do. So my PT-2 is still available to anyone with a PT-1 who would like to upgrade to a PT-2 for $20.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 06-30-2010

Bump...

Old 07-01-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that most retailers are selling the two for only about a $5 price differential from what I've seen.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 07-01-2010

witzgall is on a distinguished road
Not to hijack your thread, but if anyone has a PT-3 gauge, and wants the PT-2, I would be willing to swap.

Chris
Old 07-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I'd point out that most retailers are selling the two for only about a $5 price differential from what I've seen.
I was seeing $20 differential. Could you send me a link to the retailers you are referring to? I may want to go ahead and pick up the PT-1 there.

Old 07-01-2010
Telstar 28

Defender has the PT1 for $94 and the PT2 for $105, SBO has them for 99 and 104, etc... not a $20 price difference...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 07-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Defender has the PT1 for $94 and the PT2 for $105, SBO has them for 99 and 104, etc... not a $20 price difference...
Not all of them "have them." Some are backordered. I had seen $20 price difference at the first few sites I saw, so priced it accordingly. But since it's available elsewhere for lower difference, I need to match that, so I'll offer an even trade.

I need to move quickly on this. My rig needs tuning and I have hit the limit of what I can do by "feel." So I'll offer an even trade (my PT-2 in exchange for someone else's like-new condition PT-1) for a couple more days, after that I'll have to buy a PT-1 and keep the PT-2 for future boats.

Last edited by TakeFive; 07-05-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I need to move quickly on this. My rig needs tuning and I have hit the limit of what I can do by "feel."
You don't need to do it by feel. You can accomplish what you want, easily, by simply measuring wire stretch. I would've gone that way, myself, except the mast comes down each fall and goes back up each spring, so having a Loos gauge made sense.

(I don't recall more than about a $10 differential between the different Loos Pro gauges, either, but that was better than a year ago, so perhaps I mis-remember.)

Jim