Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-13-2010

ambianceack is on a distinguished road
new winches

We have Lewmar 43 two speed manual winches, non self tailing, which are original to the boat. Our boat is a 1979 Sabre 34'. If we replace our winches what would be similar? I cannot seem to find the Lewmar 43. Are self tailing winches that much better? We are cruisers and not racers, although a race or two is not out of the question.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2010

paulk is on a distinguished road
Self-tailing winches are different, not necessarily better in and of themselves. They enable you to leave the sheet in the jaws and crank it in with just one hand. This can be useful if you are trying to steer at the same time and only have one hand available. Since the jaws hold the sheet, you don't need to uncleat it before pulling it in. Releasing can also be a one-handed operation if you are careful about the eased sheet getting an override on the winch drum. If you think this is better, then it is. Be aware that the mounting bolts for new winches may not be in the same positions as your old ones. You may need to fill in the old holes and drill new ones. We have standard winches for our genoa and self-tailers for our spinnaker sheets. The one-handed feature is great for spinnaker sets when there is plenty for everyone to do and never enough hands in the cockpit.
Old 06-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You'd probably want the Lewmar ST44 winches... As Paulk has pointed out, they're a nicety, but not a necessity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-14-2010
Cal 9.2 SilverSwan

roline is on a distinguished road
My boat Cal 9.2 had a set of Barient 25 winches. I wanted self tailing and scrounged Ebay for 6yrs until I found a pair of Barient 27-48's. They had the same base dia and drum dia as the 25's. I took a chance and found that they used the same base mounting holes. Just what I wanted.
Find out what the mounting hole pattern is , you might be able to find St40, St43(old design) or St44's with the same hole pattern. The old St43's are no longer supported by Lewmar if a part breaks. I like the Barient 27-48's, around 40:1 with a 8" handle and 48:1 with a 10".
Cal 9.2 #19 SilverSwan
Old 06-14-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
I've always like self tailing winches because I don't have to tail the line to keep it tight on the drum, the others crew can do other chores, and that spot is far less crowded. I don't have self tailers on the halyards on the mast but I do elsewhere, especially on the primaries where the loads can be deadly.

"baconsails.biz/usedwinches.html" has Lewmar 43 winches for sale. I have no first hand knowledge of them but the link may help you on your search.

Last edited by oceanscapt; 06-14-2010 at 10:26 AM.