SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

rudder post rust

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  SailNet Archive 
#1 ·
I just purchased an 8.3 Columbia and I was picking at the rudder today and noticed the stainless post is rusting at about 1 mm deep on one side in a circular direction It''s cutting into the post ....about half way around the post...just as it hits the bottem glass. Can this be repaired by me? Or do I reach into my pocket for this one?.... and how much? My grand dad said to duck tape it but I thought I would give this a try.

#2 ·
Had a smiliar situation on my boat when I bought it. I reached straight for my pocket. A rudder is not something to toy with, in my opinion. That kind of thing can become a fairly big problem in short order, usually at a pretty in-opportune time.

Duct tape? Um... I know the stuff fixes everything, but I think this one may be a bit beyond the tape fix. As in, no way.

Rob.

#3 ·
Seams to me that I remember seeing this same situation dealt with in a WEST epoxy book a few years ago. They have a graphite filler that makes an excellent bearing surface which is just right for this job, or so they say. Anyway, it may be worth your while to check it out. Yea, I know several people who advocate that Duct Tape will save the world but I don''t think this would be a repair that would highlight its finer qualities.

#4 ·
It doesn''t sound like an area of the boat to skimp on. Im not sure the severity of the problem, but i''d have a professional take a look at it and do the appropiate repairs.
Last year i was sailing from Nevis to Monseratte in the leeward islands with 15 knots of wind and 3-5 ft seas when i lost stearing. I was still 10 miles out while diagnosing the problem. The rudder post sheared from the rudder itself. luckily the rudder was held in place, but i had no stearing, not even with the emergency tiller obviously. I had to go over the side a jury rig a system which got kinda ugly once i was beneath the boat in 3-5 ft seas. I got lucky and rigged a lind around the rudder and eventually back up to to jib wenches. it didn''t work great, but we were able to keep the rudder straight and we eventually got in with minimal steering. I felt pretty helpless with out steering.

i''d say spend the money and fix it right. After hull integrity, it''s the most important system on a boat.

--greg
s/v temptation

#5 ·
It doesn''t sound like an area of the boat to skimp on. Im not sure the severity of the problem, but i''d have a professional take a look at it and do the appropiate repairs.
Last year i was sailing from Nevis to Monseratte in the leeward islands with 15 knots of wind and 3-5 ft seas when i lost stearing. I was still 10 miles out while diagnosing the problem. The rudder post sheared from the rudder itself. luckily the rudder was held in place, but i had no stearing, not even with the emergency tiller obviously. I had to go over the side a jury rig a system which got kinda ugly once i was beneath the boat in 3-5 ft seas. I got lucky and rigged a lind around the rudder and eventually back up to to jib wenches. it didn''t work great, but we were able to keep the rudder straight and we eventually got in with minimal steering. I felt pretty helpless with out steering.

i''d say spend the money and fix it right. After hull integrity, it''s the most important system on a boat.

--greg
s/v temptation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.