SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Can I use a furling mast without he fuler? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/65666-can-i-use-furling-mast-without-he-fuler.html)

Sailmachine 06-16-2010 01:36 PM

Can I use a furling mast without he fuler?

I am looking at a boat (P35) that was dismasted. a replacement mast was purchased but never installed. Anyways the mast does not include the furling hardware but has the furling slot and an emergency sail track. So the question is: rather then buying the furling hardware and a new sail. Can I use the emergency sail track and just forget about the furler. Then if I wanted to add it later I could. Or in other words is this a usable mast.

I am aware of the downfalls of in mast furling. My goal would be to set this boat up for single handed coastal cruising.

TAK 06-16-2010 04:51 PM

You could I suppose but would you want the opening for the sail that would otherwise furl into the mast just left open ? thats a big hole..

I have a Zspar furling and have inquired about an extrusion that would fill the slot and I do not believe one is available.. .

knothead 06-16-2010 05:12 PM

The furling masts have an internal track that is usually used for a Tri-sail. It would probably work but it would have to be fed into and removed from the track every time you used it. That might be a little inconvenient.

capecodda 06-16-2010 05:15 PM

trisail?

On one previous boat I had a furling mast with a track that was for a storm tri-sail only. The track did not go to the top. This may not be the case on your mast, so excuse this if I'm bringing up the obvious.

The other factor was the track was on one side of the slot. Don't know if that's true as well, but a large mast section might do some interesting things to air flow. Probably doesn't matter when it's blowing 50 kts and the trisail is up, but might matter in lighter winds.

Good luck!

tdw 06-16-2010 06:09 PM

Does the mast come with all the fittings and standing rigging ?

If yes, then you are probably ahead. Don't try and use the furling extrusion. Poor airflow plus the likelihood that the thing will be very noisy...wind whistling through it noisy.

On a 35'er the mast extrusion by itself is probably not all that expensive, its the bits and pieces that casue the real damage to your wallet.

Sailmachine 06-16-2010 07:36 PM

These are all good points. What i am afraid of is i will not be able to use this mast and have to buy another one. Not really the end of the world but kinda like to know heading into it. The old mast has all the hardware. so eather way i would be able to just buy the extrusion. If I could setup the furlling maybe I should go that route from the beginning. i like the idea of a furlling main.

seabreeze_97 06-16-2010 11:52 PM

Took lessons on a Catalina 310 and it had a furling main. Gotta say it was saweet, especially for single-handing.

knothead 06-17-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sailmachine (Post 613980)
These are all good points. What i am afraid of is i will not be able to use this mast and have to buy another one. Not really the end of the world but kinda like to know heading into it. The old mast has all the hardware. so eather way i would be able to just buy the extrusion. If I could setup the furlling maybe I should go that route from the beginning. i like the idea of a furlling main.

Just thinking outside the box.
But if you could close up the big opening somehow and mount a Tides Strong Track on whatever you used to close the gap. You would pretty much have a conventional mast.

I doubt that welding would be an option, but perhaps aluminum flat stock could be inserted into the cavity and riveted to the inside of each edge of the opening. The Strong Track could be attached to the flat stock.

Just a thought.

capecodda 06-17-2010 06:32 AM

spending your money

Is a lot easier than spending my own :)

For what its worth, on a 35 ft boat, IMHO, you cannot beat a convention fully battened main sail with lazy jacks and jiffy reefing. On a bigger boat (50ish), the pain/benefit ratio of in mast or boom furling balances towards these options. I've have owned both of these extremes.

So if I could spend your money, I'd buy a new mast, and fully battened main. If I could spend even more of your money the new mast would be carbon!!!!

That said, good luck with whatever you decide. If there is an experienced rigger in your neighborhood, with good references, I'd check with them as to what's possible along all the options you are looking at.

Seriously, most important is to get something that works that fits your budget and get out there. Good luck!