sab motor with varable pitch prop - Page 2 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
  #11  
Old 06-20-2012
jimjazzdad's Avatar
Bluenoser
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St. Margaret's Bay
Posts: 180
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 7
jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

I had a 27' Albin Vega with a similar setup - 10HP Volvo Penta with a variable pitch prop. I liked it. Mine had just one lever to control the boat's direction and speed -it was nice. That said, marine mechanics in North America seem to be unfamiliar with these systems and are sometimes reluctant to take them on. I learned how to service it myself and it was no big deal. Most of the parts are generic metric bearings and oil seals available at any good bearing supply house. Then there was the hoodoo about what grease to use in the stuffing box (the stuffing box is really just a couple of oilseals with grease in between to alow the outer control shaft to slide back and forth to adjust the pitch...) - any thic, sticky, waterproof grease seemed to work. The boat had some bad behavior in reverse (what sailboat doesn't?) but I think that was more due to the prop being located above and aft of the rudder than the variable pitch. Its good to note that tug boats and other large vessels use variable pitch propellors a lot. I would go with one again.

As to Sabb, never had one but I used to see them quite a bit as lifeboat engines - possibly a good endorsement.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #12  
Old 06-20-2012
hellosailor's Avatar
Plausible Deniability
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,710
Thanks: 2
Thanked 93 Times in 91 Posts
Rep Power: 10
hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

Marty-
Variable props have long been standard on aircraft, so there's reason to think the concept works. I suspect the reason it is shunned on boats, is that putting more moving parts in a corrosive salt water bath and relying on seals...We should all be cringing by now, right? (G)
I'd like an exotic sports car, too. But not the maintenance bill I know it will require. A cheap bulky gearbox, a solid shaft, no bearings, no seals...This is why Detroit products could be fixed with a screwdriver and plier, while German ones required specialized tools.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #13  
Old 06-20-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

A couple of my friends have them and like them. Both built their boats and chose that engine.
What did your stepfather build Marty?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #14  
Old 06-21-2012
blt2ski's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,723
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 10
blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

WS,

He built a Bill garden modern day sea bird yawl. One of Rudders "LAST" plans before that rag went kaput! Not sure how many others, if at all were built. HERE is a link to some pics a couple or three years ago when we got in on a trailer, the fall before launching. Gives you an idea of the shape etc.

The design itself has some issues as to how well it turns etc too. It would have been nice of the motor was a bit stronger. Not sure if the tack reads true. Seems to be about half of what it really is turning in my mind. The claim is to run at 1500 or so rpm for best speed performance etc But seems to like about 2000-2200 on the tack, along with get some reasonable speed out of the boat. Not sure of the speed, as a knotmeter is not installed.

It is what it is, when he dies, family will probably sell it, like all things, for as much as they can get. Not sure it will be a lot considering many variables about it.

Marty
__________________
She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #15  
Old 06-23-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

Home built wood boats can be very hard to sell, but both Garden and the Seabirds have a following. I have the plans for the original, expanded (Seagoer), and an early plywood version. I alway wanted to build my own cruiser. I have built a few dingies and a kayak, but really didn't want to spend the timebuilding bigger. I respect him for doing it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #16  
Old 06-23-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 2,083
Thanks: 17
Thanked 70 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 8
miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
WS,

He built a Bill garden modern day sea bird yawl. One of Rudders "LAST" plans before that rag went kaput! Not sure how many others, if at all were built. HERE is a link to some pics a couple or three years ago when we got in on a trailer, the fall before launching. Gives you an idea of the shape etc.

The design itself has some issues as to how well it turns etc too. It would have been nice of the motor was a bit stronger. Not sure if the tack reads true. Seems to be about half of what it really is turning in my mind. The claim is to run at 1500 or so rpm for best speed performance etc But seems to like about 2000-2200 on the tack, along with get some reasonable speed out of the boat. Not sure of the speed, as a knotmeter is not installed.

It is what it is, when he dies, family will probably sell it, like all things, for as much as they can get. Not sure it will be a lot considering many variables about it.

Marty
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Home built wood boats can be very hard to sell, but both Garden and the Seabirds have a following. I have the plans for the original, expanded (Seagoer), and an early plywood version. I alway wanted to build my own cruiser. I have built a few dingies and a kayak, but really didn't want to spend the timebuilding bigger. I respect him for doing it.
I like it, but yes she will be hard to sell. You can tell a lot of work and love went into the build. I have respect for anyone who can complete a project like that. I wonder what percent of boats like that never get completed? I would think the majority, as it has to be a multi year project. Plans change and life can get in the way! Props to the completion of the project. Have any interior shots?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #17  
Old 06-23-2012
blt2ski's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,723
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 10
blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

I do not have too many shots that I can show as this one is. It took some 30 yrs from start to finish. as one says, life gets in the way. 6 yrs doing nothing while his wife/my mom fought a battle with cancer, a few yrs of trying to get ones feet back on the ground. One of my sisters and her husband helping for abit, more time off, another helped get it finished as he approaches age 90! as said, wonder how many never get finished.

Nor is it my style of boat. If I inherited it, it would be gone yesterday per say, or a major redo of the trans would be in order. Motor works ok for its size etc. I would go with a neutral style trans, 3 blade prop vs the varible 2 blade to get a bit more bite. Re rig the rigging a bit, along with put wheel steering in, as you do not get a full enough rudder movement side to side with the way the tiller was mounted and designed.

Hull size, from what I can see, about the same as my 28' Jeanneau, you will not get this to move real fast. I've only sailed on it once, we only put up the main and jib. Major case of lee helm! The mizzen might have helped a bit. It's a funky design needless to say. Think I have a pg for the plans some where.

marty
__________________
She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #18  
Old 06-25-2012
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Beacon, NY
Posts: 2,083
Thanks: 17
Thanked 70 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 8
miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I do not have too many shots that I can show as this one is. It took some 30 yrs from start to finish. as one says, life gets in the way. 6 yrs doing nothing while his wife/my mom fought a battle with cancer, a few yrs of trying to get ones feet back on the ground. One of my sisters and her husband helping for abit, more time off, another helped get it finished as he approaches age 90! as said, wonder how many never get finished.

Nor is it my style of boat. If I inherited it, it would be gone yesterday per say, or a major redo of the trans would be in order. Motor works ok for its size etc. I would go with a neutral style trans, 3 blade prop vs the varible 2 blade to get a bit more bite. Re rig the rigging a bit, along with put wheel steering in, as you do not get a full enough rudder movement side to side with the way the tiller was mounted and designed.

Hull size, from what I can see, about the same as my 28' Jeanneau, you will not get this to move real fast. I've only sailed on it once, we only put up the main and jib. Major case of lee helm! The mizzen might have helped a bit. It's a funky design needless to say. Think I have a pg for the plans some where.

marty
Yea, I understand, it is not a boat I would like to own, but I enjoy all kinds of boats, especially ones like this that obviously have a lot of hard work and soul put into it. I think funky designs are cool if other people build and use them. I love the sharpies but would never want to own one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #19  
Old 11-16-2012
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
oldgaffer is on a distinguished road
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

Hi Marty, I've just seen your post and joined so that I could shed some light for you, hopefully! The SABB diesel is a very reliable but pretty agricultural piece of equipment. Having said that I would not swap mine (18HP with the VPP).
The origin of the VPP was for Norwegian fishing boats which went out empty and came home full - hence requiring a different pitch on the prop. The key to ease of use is to set the idle speed as low as possible, preferably around 400 rpm (with prop engaged) as this makes the transition from forward to astern quite simple. If you try to move the Pitch lever with more than about 700 rpm you will find it quite challenging! The Instruction Manual tells you that there is to be at least 15 degrees of free play in the governor (throttle) before you get any response. You can set this quite easily. There is a domed not at the rear of the engine which contains a threaded bolt which increases pressure on the governor. You'll need an Allen Key to screw this in and/or out.
Hope this helps.
P.S. You don't have to be Amish to enjoy the SABB but it would help!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #20  
Old 11-16-2012
blt2ski's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,723
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 10
blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: sab motor with varable pitch prop

gaffer,

I'll send info to sister that spends most of the time using the boat. But alas, not sure if good or bad, the boat was pulled last fall, and has not gone back in, so it maybe next spring summer before trying to figure out the how to truly make this thing work. But will keep th einfo at hand.

Along with a welcome to the craziness here! Just watch out for some feller named CD, he as some ugly under bit dog........if you see him, run the other way, and call 911!

Marty
__________________
She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Feathering Prop vs. Fixed Blade Prop Benevento Pacific Seacraft 70 02-11-2011 07:52 AM
New Prop & Shaft - install prop questions preservedkillick Gear & Maintenance 2 05-22-2010 08:46 AM
Changing prop underwater trantor12020 Gear & Maintenance 16 03-03-2007 12:02 PM
Propeller Pitch camaraderie Gear & Maintenance 3 03-25-2005 07:46 AM
Choosing the Right Propeller Sue & Larry Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 02-04-2003 07:00 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.