Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 03-23-2003

justsammer is on a distinguished road
Old electronics?

Hi all, have some questions about electronics. I recently purchased a 1986 Norsea 27. I''m fairly new to boat electronics, and have some basic questions.

I have a Loran C on my boat, is this an outdated piece of equipment? Should I just chuck it, or do some people still find some good use for them?
I also have a radar from 1986, an Apelco LDR 9900 LCD Radar, same questions about this as the Loran C. Chuck it? Or can still use it?

thanks alot,
sammer elias
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-24-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Old electronics?

If they are working both are reasonably good systems, especilly for a 27 footer. When it can recieve signals, Loran C gives a more accurate location than GPS with selective scrambling in place which occurs at times such as now. These older electronics were pretty robust and often hold up well. Same with your radar. New systems offer more bells and whistles but to have radar at all on a 27 footer is pretty remarkable and even though dated would probably give you most of the information that you might even want.

Jeff
Old 03-24-2003

asailor is on a distinguished road
Old electronics?

buy a GPS. they are cheap. If u have the space keep both. Even with a semi scrambled signal in cases of war, the GPS is accurate to 100 yards, otherwise they are accurate to 3 yards. I''ve NEVER had that much accuracy or confidence with a loran.
Old 03-24-2003

jklewissf is on a distinguished road
Old electronics?

I just sold my norsea a few months ago and moved up to a tayana 37 which Im in the process of commissioning.

Congratualtions on the NorSea. I sailed mine extensively for 15 years and never had a doubt about the stoutness of the boat.

Loran will take you back to the same place, where you recorded a waypoint, more accurately than GPS...This might be very useful to a fisherman who wants to find a particular pile of rocks on the bottom but never had much value to me.

There have been lots of political battles over the loran system. The government wanted to shut it down but the commercial fishermen objected. I think it is only a matter of time until its history.

But, as long as your loran receiver works I''d keep it. Id also add a GPS and rely on it as my primary source of nav info... GPS is accurate and reliable. Its not degraded by things like fluorescent lights (which can totally louse up loran signals). GPS also works everywhere but Loran does not. You need to know the limitations of Loran in your area...Loran works fine till you get to san diego but then falls apart when you cross the mexican border. Im sure there are other places like than but dont know them all. I had my old loran receiver and gps when I sailed to hawaii in 94. The loran lost signal about 600 miles out but the GPS told me where I was (within about 86 feet) for the entire passage.

I put radar on my norsea was was glad I did. Since a norsea is an ocean going boat it needs the same tools as a larger boat. I dont know the features of radars from the 80s but do know that there were major advances in the 90s in terms of automating the control of the radar image. Friends of mine with older units had to fuss with gain and sea state controls to get a useful image. my first radar unit took care of all of that for me and I was never able to achieve as good an image when i overrode the automatic system.

I just bought a new raymarine pathfinder radar and am stunned by how much them have improved since 94 when I bought my first radar (also raymarine with a LCD display).

The software is better, the images are better and (believe it or not), the price was lower.

That said, if your current radar works and you dont want to spend the money, Id live with it.

Hope this helps,

John
Old 03-27-2003

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Old electronics?

Reworking my boat. Chucked the loran and am replacing with a GPS Chartplotter.

Keeping my LDR 9900 LCD Radar. More of a learning curve than the newer units (you have to manually tune it for best reception), but it really isn''t difficult. I''ve gotten to know it well and actually rely on it some. It is one of my favorite toys on board. Nice to compare what''s on the screen with what''s on the chart. It works great as is, so it stays. Besides, it''s already paid for. I can think of other ways to spend $1000+ on my boat.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

4arch is on a distinguished road
Re: Old electronics?

You're replying to a thread that's over 11 years old. Many of the posters from back then haven't been active on this site in months or years. You may be better off asking the question on a new thread.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

knuterikt is on a distinguished road

The OP is from 2003....
Old 3 Weeks Ago

jtrentadue is on a distinguished road

thank you i will repost that thread as you suggest.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

WGEwald is on a distinguished road

*** Special Notice Regarding LORAN Closure: ***

TERMINATION OF U.S. LORAN-C SIGNALS:
In accordance with the 2010 DHS Appropriations Act, the U.S. Coast Guard terminated the transmission of all U.S. LORAN-C signals on 08 Feb 2010.

TERMINATION OF RUSSIAN AMERICAN LORAN-CHAYKA SIGNALS:
The U.S. Coast Guard transmission of the Russian American signal was terminated on 01 Aug 2010.

TERMINATION OF CANADIAN COAST LORAN-C SIGNALS:
The U.S. Coast Guard transmission of Canadian LORAN-C signals was terminated
on 03 Aug 2010.

LORAN-C General Information
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
If they are working both are reasonably good systems, especilly for a 27 footer. When it can recieve signals, Loran C gives a more accurate location than GPS with selective scrambling in place which occurs at times such as now. These older electronics were pretty robust and often hold up well. Same with your radar. New systems offer more bells and whistles but to have radar at all on a 27 footer is pretty remarkable and even though dated would probably give you most of the information that you might even want.

Jeff
Loran was not more accurate than GPS, it only had better repeatability. The last thing I heard, unless you live in the Canadian Maritimes, there were no more supported Loran stations in the Americas, and those might have ended by now, too. If you wanted to see what it's worth, put it on EBay and see if it sells, but it's just wasting space on your boat.