Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-17-2010

ulferlingsson is on a distinguished road
Compass for weekend cruiser

A compass is one of those things on HAS to have onboard, but my new vessel doesn't have one. So what to buy?

I want a small one that doesn't require cutting big holes with a chain saw. And that is not in the way, neither in the cockpit, in the cabin, or on deck.

My favorite from previous boats was a second compass I had on my Havsfidra, a Silva 70 (Silva Steering Compass 70UN. It can be used for taking bearings, too, plus it can be mounted in just about any position using separate holders (I had a holder above my berth so I could check the course without getting out of bed). The only disadvantage I can see is that it doesn't tell you the inclination. I like to know how much it is healing.

Plus it is not the cheapest one around.

Can anyone recommend a better one?

Last edited by ulferlingsson; 06-17-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added link to image of Silva 70
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
How about this one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-17-2010
Splashed

JomsViking is on a distinguished road
Silva Ranger CL 515 Compass - Silva Compasses

Honestly, that was the only compass (an older version) I had when sailing from DK to the Netherlands years ago - two battens held it in the cockpit.
Still have it btw.
Old 06-17-2010
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Well, for the weekend cruiser....I keep a Suunto bearing (orienteering) compass in my nav kit anyway. The kind that has bearings AND reverse bearings on the dial, and can be held up to one eye to "sight" onto a target and take the bearing to it.

That doesn't replace having a larger fixed compass for helming the boat, but if all you are doing is piloting and using marks to helm by, that may be enough for now.

Or, a pair of binocs with a bearing compass in them, used similarly.

Anything that you don't cut a hole and mount flush, can eventually get in the way. Since you are in Miami...why not call Sailorman up in Fort Lauderdale, and ask them if they have any bargains on used compasses? If you've never been up there...take the ride up, it is a very interesting place to browse!
Old 06-17-2010

75R20 is on a distinguished road
Plastimo Iris 100.
Good unit, portable and also available lighted.
Kary
S/V Mariah
Old 06-17-2010

ulferlingsson is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the tips. The orientation compass from Silva is what I have for backup - if I can find it in this mess...
Old 06-18-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
if you have a silva for backup, you could probably get an entry level gps w/compass for the same cost as a small richie...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 06-29-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
i just got a really neat compass... thought you might wanna check into it... cant have too many knives, flashlights and compasses on a boat...

Vion MiNi 2000 Handbearing Compass

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture