SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Rocna Anchor m Made in China (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/65720-rocna-anchor-m-made-china.html)

LinekinBayCD 06-18-2010 05:13 AM

Rocna Anchor m Made in China

After reading all the tests and reviews of anchors I could find (including many Main Sail posts here and on another board) over the past year or so I broke down and purchased a 33 lb Rocna from West Marine this spring. I was kind of surprised and dissapointed when I undid all the bubble wrap and found a "made in China" sticker on the anchor. Never gave it a lot of thought before as to where they were manufactured. I kind of had the impression that some were manufactured in New Zealand and those sold in North America made in North America.

Did where they are made change or were they always made in China?

Joe

JohnRPollard 06-18-2010 08:47 AM

My understanding is that production was moved "overseas" sometime in the past year or so. That was when I took them off my short list.;)

eryka 06-18-2010 09:29 AM

Yes, we bought ours last September, and the sticker says "made in New Zealand"

SVCarolena 06-18-2010 09:50 AM

Very sad, indeed, and certainly coming off my short list. We do our best to avoid products made in China. When possible, we try for made in USA, but baring that we try to purchase from our allies, wherever they may be. And China certainly isn't one of them. I know that lots of products have components that come from places like China and then get a Made in Wherever sticker depending on final assembly, but we at least try the best we can to make sure our dollars either stay in the US or go to our friends, the ones who actually buy from us in return and don't manipulate their currency for competitive advantage and to our detriment. I'll stop now before I turn this into a political rant . . . .

PS - from my experience and that of friends who have actually lived and studied in China, now that China has the exact manufacturing specs, it won't be long before even more knockoffs hit the market.

sailingdog 06-18-2010 09:59 AM

This is a change. When I bought mine several years back it was made by a company in BC canada.

LinekinBayCD 06-18-2010 10:13 AM

Maybe Craig Smith will chime in on any quality control issues.

smackdaddy 06-18-2010 10:14 AM

Have there been any QC issues?

LinekinBayCD 06-18-2010 10:25 AM

I don't know of any, then again I don't how many of the "made in China" versions are out there.

Just sent Craig Smith this PM:

Craig,

I just discovered that my new Rocna 33 lb anchor and purchased through West Marine had a made in China sticker on it. I am disappointed in this fact and somewhat concerned about quality control issues. Can you provide information on this and explain what may have been done to insure that the anchor is comparable to those manufactured in New Zealand or elsewhere?

I guess I need to check the West marine website to see if they identify the country of manufacture.

Joe

smackdaddy 06-18-2010 10:42 AM

Well, being that China is the world's new steel powerhouse...kind of makes sense doesn't it?

PalmettoSailor 06-18-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 614498)
Well, being that China is the world's new steel powerhouse...kind of makes sense doesn't it?

I can tell you this -- The Chinese used to make a knockoff of the Springfield M1A (among others) that was notorious for blowing up. The metalurgy was no good, the manufacturing tolerences were horrible, the assembly was shoddy and they were too light to make a good anchor. They were so bad, Custom gun shops could not make them right and many refused to work on them for fear of liablity. Otherwise they were great rifles.

A Chinese made anchor might be serviceable but who knows with the crummy metalurgy exported from China in the past not to mention all the good political reasons to choose another brand.