Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-18-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Rocna Anchor m Made in China

After reading all the tests and reviews of anchors I could find (including many Main Sail posts here and on another board) over the past year or so I broke down and purchased a 33 lb Rocna from West Marine this spring. I was kind of surprised and dissapointed when I undid all the bubble wrap and found a "made in China" sticker on the anchor. Never gave it a lot of thought before as to where they were manufactured. I kind of had the impression that some were manufactured in New Zealand and those sold in North America made in North America.

Did where they are made change or were they always made in China?

Joe

Last edited by LinekinBayCD; 06-18-2010 at 08:30 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
My understanding is that production was moved "overseas" sometime in the past year or so. That was when I took them off my short list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 06-18-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Yes, we bought ours last September, and the sticker says "made in New Zealand"
Old 06-18-2010
Pearson 303

SVCarolena is on a distinguished road
Very sad, indeed, and certainly coming off my short list. We do our best to avoid products made in China. When possible, we try for made in USA, but baring that we try to purchase from our allies, wherever they may be. And China certainly isn't one of them. I know that lots of products have components that come from places like China and then get a Made in Wherever sticker depending on final assembly, but we at least try the best we can to make sure our dollars either stay in the US or go to our friends, the ones who actually buy from us in return and don't manipulate their currency for competitive advantage and to our detriment. I'll stop now before I turn this into a political rant . . . .

PS - from my experience and that of friends who have actually lived and studied in China, now that China has the exact manufacturing specs, it won't be long before even more knockoffs hit the market.
Old 06-18-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
This is a change. When I bought mine several years back it was made by a company in BC canada.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-18-2010

Maybe Craig Smith will chime in on any quality control issues.
Old 06-18-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Have there been any QC issues?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-18-2010

I don't know of any, then again I don't how many of the "made in China" versions are out there.

Just sent Craig Smith this PM:

Craig,

I just discovered that my new Rocna 33 lb anchor and purchased through West Marine had a made in China sticker on it. I am disappointed in this fact and somewhat concerned about quality control issues. Can you provide information on this and explain what may have been done to insure that the anchor is comparable to those manufactured in New Zealand or elsewhere?

I guess I need to check the West marine website to see if they identify the country of manufacture.

Joe
Old 06-18-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Well, being that China is the world's new steel powerhouse...kind of makes sense doesn't it?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 06-18-2010

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Well, being that China is the world's new steel powerhouse...kind of makes sense doesn't it?
I can tell you this -- The Chinese used to make a knockoff of the Springfield M1A (among others) that was notorious for blowing up. The metalurgy was no good, the manufacturing tolerences were horrible, the assembly was shoddy and they were too light to make a good anchor. They were so bad, Custom gun shops could not make them right and many refused to work on them for fear of liablity. Otherwise they were great rifles.

A Chinese made anchor might be serviceable but who knows with the crummy metalurgy exported from China in the past not to mention all the good political reasons to choose another brand.