Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 06-18-2010

spin1012 is on a distinguished road
what is the best way to loosen a gooseneck (currently frozen from lack of use) on a sailboat to allow for roller furling of the main?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin1012 View Post
what is the best way to loosen a gooseneck (currently frozen from lack of use) on a sailboat to allow for roller furling of the main?
The best thing is not to worry about it and convert the sail to slab/jiffy reefing. The old boom/roller reefing was never very effective, there's no way to tension the outhaul and sail shape was awful, not to mention you often lost the vang while reefed.

For a few hundred dollars you can have proper reef point put into the sail and the hardware/rigging is simple to do. In the long run you'll be very glad you did.

btw.. welcome to Sailnet. I've moved your post to its own thread - you'll get more on-topic responses that way.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 06-18-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-18-2010

baboon is on a distinguished road
I will second faster's reply. My boat has an old roller furling boom, now converted to slab reefing. It works well, can be set up to be reefed from the cockpit (on the old system a crank had to be turned at the mast), and maintains sail shape well. It is simple and less likely to fail when you really need it.
Old 06-19-2010
Banned

tytower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spin1012 View Post
You get into the moving parts with WD40 , Inox or some similar penetrant.Came across a mix of Auto Transmission Fluid and Brakefluid suggested as a cup of each mixed , also you can put some acetone with it if you wish.

Let it soak in some then try to move it just a bit ,Once you can get it to move even 1 mm then work it back and forth and put more fluid on it . Keep going until it turns all the way
Old 06-20-2010

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
I have a 1970's era roller reefing boom, it sort off worked if I rolled slowly and stretched the sail on the boom then secure a new line to the next grommet on the leech. This all took to much time and the sail was tired, so I now have a new mainsail with reef points and use the rolling boom for rolling the sail for storage when away from the boat for more than a week or two.

After you get it free with WD40 use a few drops of machine oil every few weeks. The mechanism probably predates more exotic lubricants.